Introduction

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The WHO (World Health Organisation) set a standard for the diagnosis of diabetes some time ago. Countries are not obliged to follow these standards, but the UK does. The UK and WHO standards are as I stated above, and confirmed in that document you gave a link to. This puts you in the pre-diabetic range as far as the UK is concerned. In 2011, the measurement units of the HbA1c changed, which is all the gumpf on your report about DCCT % and IFCC mmol/l and can be ignored. I have NO idea why your form suggests 46 is high, nor why the range is shown as 30 to 45. It should show 20 to 42.

Your HbA1c was 46. As your fasting test was 8.2, your GP may have decided to label you as a diabetic as this test showed your level at the time taken, whereas the HbA1c is an average of a past period. I'm only guessing here, but it does seem likely. To be honest, this is good because it means you are on the diabetic pathway, with all the perks that brings (free eye tests, retinal screening annually, foot checks, regular HbA1c reviews) none of which would apply had he not labelled you diabetic.

Do find out your cholesterol/lipids breakdown or ask for a test. It is important for us, as is a test for liver and kidney functions. You may be down for a liver function test due to being on statins.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you very much, I find your explanations very clear, I am beginning to get a handle on all this, I never done so much reading.

Reactions: 2 people