Irregular low morning glucose value

zachrdlapetr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the May 2017 I have randomly found that I have high glucose value. I felt generalized fatigue and I asked my neighbor for urine and glucose test. It was 17,1mmol/l. Next morning I went to doctor (she did blood tests) and she have treated me by 2x 850mg/day metformin. I rapidly change my diet and started walking and ride on the bicycle for every day. My blood sugar went down to 6,2-6,7mmol/l in 3 weeks. When I'm riding on the bicycle or do fast walking 30minutes I can eat any sugar (pie, chocolate) and sugar is low as 5,6mmol/l after my riding or walking ends.

My problem is morning glucose. From May 2017 I measure blood sugar and there is usually 6,2-,6,7mmol/l. But irregularly I have morning blood sugar 5,2-5,6mmol/l. It's good for me but I don't know why it is. This irregularity is often when I make some mistake. Diet mistake (sweetness) or sleep mistake (short sleep as 4-5hours). Yesterday I made diet mistake. At 11:50pm I taken food. A sweet pie (real sugar with plums) and cup of milk.

This morning I had 5,6mmol/l again and I don't know the reasons why when I take a strict diabetic diet I have higher blood suger than when I make diet mistake?

Thanks for your time.

Reactions: Freema

zachrdlapetr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If your body feels that not enough food is being eaten then it will supply glucose from the liver. The liver is sort of second guessing you and trying to keep you supplied. If you eat the liver can stop doing that. You are trying to test in the middle of this complicated process.
Read this.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

Thank you for answer and link. I have read the article and it's not answering to my problem. They say that dawn phenomenon is typically treated by avoiding intake carbohydrates at the bedtime. But I did exactly the opposite thing. I eaten plum pie with milk before sleeping.

Do you think that I should ask the doctor for hormonal tests? Maybe something else is bad in my body.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm pretty new Zach (can I call you that?) but here is a theory based on what I've read on here and my own meter readings...
If I 'starve' overnight, say 12 hours, my morning reading is up in the mid / high sixes. If I then have breakfast my readings come down into the 5's after two hours. So higher morning readings are not unusual when you stick to your strict diet.
If you eat late (or cheat!) you may not have reached the point during the night where your liver decides that it needs to dump to up your glucose levels, so the readings stay lower.
Other people say they ignore morning reading altogether as they are so unpredictable.

Reactions: Guzzler

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess you glucose has been higher overnight, but returned to a reasonable number before waking up. You could wake up in the middle of the night after indulging to see what´s happening. Or maybe your new lifestyle plus metformin just works really good :)

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got a similar effect when I had a bit too much alcohol or had a late snack. It is related to the dawn effect in that your liver for what ever reason does not release as much morning glucose.

I'm not saying that eating cake before bed is a good idea. I belive the body needs breaks from food to repair and without those breaks the underlying issues relating to type 2 can get worse.