Is a fasting level of 4.1 too low for a child?

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, my 4 year old daughter eats a fairly low carb diet effects around 80g a day. Her average fasting level on this diet is 4.1. Is this too low?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, my 4 year old daughter eats a fairly low carb diet effects around 80g a day. Her average fasting level on this diet is 4.1. Is this too low?

More information please.
If like your avatars information says your daughter is prediabetic???
Then her fasting levels are in normal range.
For most, normal blood glucose levels are between 3.7 and 6mmols.

If she is T1, then I will defer to others!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't had her tested but I think she does, type 2

So she's not on any blood sugar lowering medication?

If she's not on any meds 4.1 is not too low, nor does it in anyway suggest diabetes. It's perfectly normal and healthy.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
4.1 is normal for someone who isn't on insulin. T2 is very rare in 4 year olds, can I ask why you think she's diabetic?

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
She's not on any blood lowering medication.
I think she's diabetic because when she eats carbs her blood sugar levels afterwards are not normal ie they are around 9 two hours later and that is based on a moderate amount of carbs in around 50g. We recently saw a level over 11 one hour after my husband fed her around 70g of carbs.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you been to a hcp to test her hba1c and have you been advised to test her blood sugar? And why do you think she's type2?

Reactions: donnellysdogs

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I think she's diabetic because when she eats carbs her blood sugar levels afterwards are not normal ie they are around 9 two hours later and that is based on a moderate amount of carbs in around 50g. We recently saw a level over 11 one hour after my husband fed her around 70g of carbs.
But this is a 4 year old not an adult. I'm having trouble with my googling but I definitely wouldn't assume that a young child has the same sugar range as an adult.... And even adults spike if they have a massive amount of carbs (70g for a 4 year old!).

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Haven't managed to find a blood sugar graph for non-diabetic young children, but am getting a lot of hits which say that higher blood sugars are normal for them....

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
She's not on any blood lowering medication.
If you think she may be diabetic go to the doctors and get her tested, don't just keep checking her blood sugars levels yourself - all it will do it hurt her fingers and annoy her :) But its gotta be said 70g carbs in one meal for a 4 year old seems a lot to me.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would not be happy with spikes as high as you have detailed for anyone, as minute nerve damage occurs around 7.8 mmol, the longer the spike, the more damage.

Whilst 4.1 is a number many Type 2's would fight you for, I would have thought a child might be lower on a low carb diet,as this is not to dissimilar to my numbers on lchf; having said that, I don't know anything about blood glucose numbers in children and if 4.1 was a figure you could guarantee for life it would be more than acceptable. I think your scenario needs hcp testing.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
come on she is 4 how likely is she to be type2 unless she is extremely fat a child will not get it. why are you testing a non diabetic child.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it is really worth looking at the op's older posts in relation to this thread.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If your daughter isn't morbidly obese then she'd make medical history if she were T2 - up to now the only small children with T2 have been very overweight. Honestly, if she were diabetic then she'd be much more likely to have T1.

Now, as a T1 mother I admit to paranoia whenever my kids were extra thirsty - I kept a packet of urine testing strips for just that purpose and I replaced it whenever the strips went out of date. Blood tests? Just no.

If you're T2 then your daughter does have a strong genetic risk for T2 in later life, which should encourage you to get her to eat healthily (ie avoid excessive quantities of sugar and junk food), exercise etc etc. But these are all things you'd want to do for a child anyway.

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with her, very well controlled. She is not overweight , she was when she was younger. She does have a lot of abdominal fat and she has keratosis Polaris and she has dark skin on her knuckles.
She eats lots of vegetables, eggs cheese and some meat, yoghurt and some fruit. Rarely has junk food. So even if she is not diabetic or even pre-diabetic I do not see the harm in her eating this type of diet.
I hope to god that I am being an overprotective drama queen and that the problem is all in my head. I am just trying to do my best for her as I love her more than anything in this world.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As other readers have advised; if you have concerns regarding your daughter's wellbeing, you should consult your doctor.