Is a fasting level of 4.1 too low for a child?

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
4.1 seems perfectly good to me. I dont know why u would think ur child has t2 diabetes, but as others suggested before, if ur that worried a hba1c will tell more than u testing at home.

For a 4 year old it is not recommended to have a low carb diet. They need more to grow healthy and just from that FBG u mentioned, I wouldnt assume she has diabetes. There are healthy carbs u can feed her and will benefit her growth.

X

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
If 80g of carbs a day is too low for a 4 year old, how many carbs should she have?

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If 80g of carbs a day is too low for a 4 year old, how many carbs should she have?

I would suggest to consult with ur doctor. In the past I was told 120g/day is recommended, but thats for a t1 child. Its not likely ur daughter has diabetes, but please ask for ur doctors opinion on this and maybe do a blood test on ur child if u see it necessary. Best wishes X

edit. also its best to split her daily carb intake into 5-6 meals a day, she ll still get the same amount but wont get huge carb loads at a time (I believe I read on the previous page that she once got 70g carb in one meal..?)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning, @Luca2016 you have to be careful as you may be on the way to passing your anxieties on to your child, which could cause problems in the future, both mentally and emotionally, Most parent's love their children to the moon and back, I know I do and want to care for them 24/7. Also the constant testing, with no real proof of diabetes, is worrying. As other's have said, go to your GP or health visitor with any concern's, I hope she is 100% well and happy..:)
Enjoying watching and loving her grow up, as the time goes by far too quickly ( I'm a mum of three)

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Morning, @Luca2016 you have to be careful as you may be on the way to passing your anxieties on to your child, which could cause problems in the future, both mentally and emotionally, Most parent's love their children to the moon and back, I know I do and want to care for them 24/7. Also the constant testing, with no real proof of diabetes, is worrying. As other's have said, go to your GP or health visitor with any concern's, I hope she is 100% well and happy..:)
Enjoying watching and loving her grow up, as the time goes by far too quickly ( I'm a mum of three)
Thank you for your reply I do not test her often just every now and then but I will try to do it less often and I will take her to the doctor if my concerns continue.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
a low carb diet is not appropriate for a child why have you placed her on it. https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/healthydiet.html
please see your doctor work out if the problem is your 4year old or possibly you. we have seem a few mums that really think there kids are sick even when they are not please try to avoid this.
I genuinely would like to know why you say this. In the societies where low carb is the default I haven't read that children suffer and health outcomes are better e.g. masai http://sciencenordic.com/maasai-keep-healthy-despite-high-fat-diet. High carbs and sugar just provide energy, and nutrition tends to be very low, whilst the negative aspects are significant and well documented. What carbs / sugar does do is offer joy, as over time "we" and food scientists have processed items together to hit the bliss point. When Professor Tim Noakes got in trouble for his response to a similar point about. We are all entitled to our view, but I agree with Tim http://www.huffingtonpost.co.za/201...misconduct-over-advising-mother-t_a_22049207/

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
im not saying a junk food diet is good. any restrictive diet for a 4 year old is potentially harmful. for a teen that understands the risks thats fine. subjecting a child that does not have diabetes to a potentially nutrient deficient diet is dangerous. can you really trust a parent that insists a child is diabetic without evidence to manage a risky diet. we should not be promoting it. the best option is a healthy diet of all the food groups. yes lchf is a great diet to control our bg and lose weight im on it would i have placed a healthy child on it nope.

Luca2016

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
im not saying a junk food diet is good. any restrictive diet for a 4 year old is potentially harmful. for a teen that understands the risks thats fine. subjecting a child that does not have diabetes to a potentially nutrient deficient diet is dangerous. can you really trust a parent that insists a child is diabetic without evidence to manage a risky diet. we should not be promoting it. the best option is a healthy diet of all the food groups. yes lchf is a great diet to control our bg and lose weight im on it would i have placed a healthy child on it nope.
My daughter eats a very healthy diet, she hardly ever has junk food, processed foods or refined carbs. I fail to see the harm in providing a wholefoods diet for any child let alone one who potentially has blood sugar issues

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ere no she does not. if for a moment i thought a child had type 1 i would be at the doctors. guessing that she has a condition is plain silly. she does not have type 2 has as been explained. you stated that you were low carbing her. have you had this diet reviewed by a dietitian. what do you call a well balanced diet. just get her to a doctor and request a hba1c test. maybe even a oral glucose tolerance test. at the same time get a gad test done assuming the nhs is willing to pay for it. when you pricked her fingers you did make sure the were washed and dried well. it may seem obvious but sticky finger would give a higher reading.

Reactions: miszu