Is Basal amount the same with different types of insulin?

Garek

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’ve been switched from an intermediate insulin (twice a day), to a once a day long lasting insulin plus Novorapid with meals. Problem is I’ve had no advice on how much to take. My pharmacy couldn’t get hold of the long lasting insulin straight away so I carried on using my intermediate and added in the Novorapid. This has worked quite well so far, but now I’ve received the long lasting. Can anyone tell me if I was injecting, for example, 15iu of intermediate in the morning and again in the evening, should I be starting off with something like 10iu or perhaps 20iu of long lasting?

I know you can’t tell me how much to take, I just need some idea of how intermediate compares with long lasting insulin if that’s even possible?

Also, I presume it doesn’t matter what time I take the long lasting (morning or night), as long as I take it at the same time each day? I was planning on taking it in the morning.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

nerdyt1d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I switched from Levemir to Tresiba a few months ago, I added up my 2 doses of Levemir (let's say 10u AM and 10u PM = 20u) and did the same of Tresiba in one go (so 20u).

BUT I know some doctors suggest starting a bit lower at first to avoid hypos, I personally had no issues and set up alarms in my CGM.
Would you be able to do so, or set an alarm on your phone for 3am/4am to check your blood glucose?

• Informative
Reactions: Garek and Matt2023
M

Matt2023

Hi Garek,

Love the Trekkie theme.

I cannot really add anything to this forum, apart from that I am actually going the other way with Lantus, from one injection a day to two equal injections a day to see if that helps balance my sugars out throughout the 24 hour period.

I have however a pen of Tresiba in the ref and I really want to try that again, as I have seen many people say it works well, just like nerdyt1d above.

Once you spoken to your healthcare provider and get the right answer, please share on here what they say, it at least gives people a guideline.

Thanks

Reactions: Garek