Is it or isn’t it?

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
When I read this I’m unsure what to think, I understand I was in dka in 2022, I’ve always managed my diabetes ( was diagnosed as type 2 in 2018) quite well until I slipped off the low carb and was put on jardiance, then came the dka, my own fault for low carbing at same time.

Was they quick to think type with these results, it’s like they won’t do me another test, refusing is the right word.

I don’t know what to look for in results, these were in 2022 and asking for another test is like I’m asking for a pot of gold.

Can anyone help me with these results, I’m quite happy to take insulin even tho I’m on very little.

5 units of tresiba in a morning, don’t have no more than 6 units of nova rapid a day. If I go off the carbs and cals calculations I go so low and it takes me over an hour to an hour and half to get back up. Some have been serious, I have to remove at least 2 units to the carbs it says.

So for instance, I weighed my jacket potato today, said it was 36g carbs, had rice around 10g carbs, and chilli con carne with it. Think all together it said around 46g, was probably only slightly more but I didn’t count the chilli con carbs. I took 2.5 units, and my bloods are fine, but if I had taken 4 units I’d be in trouble now.

Stress is the word of the day.

Attachments

• IMG_3659.jpeg
    IMG_3659.jpeg
    406.9 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone help me with these results, I’m quite happy to take insulin even tho I’m on very little.
From your results I read you had strong GAD antibodies, which indicates T1, although you were also still producing a significant amount of insulin at the time.
So the LADA diagnosis makes sense to me, the honeymoon period where you still make some insulin of your own can last a long time.

1701207545112.png

If I go off the carbs and cals calculations I go so low and it takes me over an hour to an hour and half to get back up. Some have been serious, I have to remove at least 2 units to the carbs it says.

So for instance, I weighed my jacket potato today, said it was 36g carbs, had rice around 10g carbs, and chilli con carne with it. Think all together it said around 46g, was probably only slightly more but I didn’t count the chilli con carbs. I took 2.5 units, and my bloods are fine, but if I had taken 4 units I’d be in trouble now.
So it looks like your insulin to carbs ratio is off.
Do you use a 1:10 ratio? This is usually just the starting point, from which you work out your own ratio, which can be completely different from this 1:10.

Reactions: Dudette1

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
From your results I read you had strong GAD antibodies, which indicates T1, although you were also still producing a significant amount of insulin at the time.
So the LADA diagnosis makes sense to me, the honeymoon period where you still make some insulin of your own can last a long time.

View attachment 64613

So it looks like your insulin to carbs ratio is off.
Do you use a 1:10 ratio? This is usually just the starting point, from which you work out your own ratio, which can be completely different from this 1:10.
1 unit for 10g of carbs yes

Jakeinhd1995

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So did it take them 4 years to diagnose you with type 1? Im currently type 2 ( in remission) and have signed up for the type 1 testing. Latest HBA1C was 33

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
1 unit for 10g of carbs yes
And how was this ratio decided?
If you consistently go high or low after meals on a ratio, the ratio needs to be changed.
Many of us use different ratios depending on time of day as well.

Some people only need one unit for 30 grams of carbs, others need one unit for 1 gram of carbs or more.

Reactions: Dudette1

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
And how was this ratio decided?
If you consistently go high or low after meals on a ratio, the ratio needs to be changed.
Many of us use different ratios depending on time of day as well.

Some people only need one unit for 30 grams of carbs, others need one unit for 1 gram of carbs or more.
It was the diabetic nurse that told me, I start going high when my foot touches the floor in a morning, I don’t correct because I walk for an hour which brings my levels down, I only take my tresiba when I wake up.

I go on the Dafne course next week, not sure if the nurses adjust our insulin from looking at our libre numbers.

I have lots of questions never thought about the ratio been off, I just went on what they told me. It’s all still a learning curb for me, I trust what they tell me to take. I Adjust through knowing what happened last time I ate certain foods.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I Adjust through knowing what happened last time I ate certain foods.
That is an approach which works quite well!
And if you note the carbs, it tells you something about your ratio as well, so you can apply it to other foods.
I go on the Dafne course next week, not sure if the nurses adjust our insulin from looking at our libre numbers.
Dafne course sounds great, I hope it will help you feeling more in charge of your diabetes. :)

With the low doses you need, do you use a half unit pen for your mealtime insulin? I think it woud be very useful for you.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM and Dudette1

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
That is an approach which works quite well!
And if you note the carbs, it tells you something about your ratio as well, so you can apply it to other foods.

Dafne course sounds great, I hope it will help you feeling more in charge of your diabetes. :)

With the low doses you need, do you use a half unit pen for your mealtime insulin? I think it woud be very useful for you.
I do use the half unit pens yes, thank you for the responses. Let’s hope I can get in charge as well as in charge as I can be :)

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
So did it take them 4 years to diagnose you with type 1? Im currently type 2 ( in remission) and have signed up for the type 1 testing. Latest HBA1C was 33
It was only because I went into dka with normal blood sugars, that’s only why they tested me.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
That's very strange how did you manage your bloods before then?
Low carb and metformin, I stopped low carbing and bloods started to go high, so the doctor put me on jardiance, I low carbed again (stupid when I’m on jardiance) my blood sugars were always around 6s day and night, then I felt unwell, the most unwell I’ve ever felt, my bloods were still in 6s so put it down to a bug, I went to doctors and she said my ketones were 7.1 and I went to hospital. The rest is history

Jakeinhd1995

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb and metformin, I stopped low carbing and bloods started to go high, so the doctor put me on jardiance, I low carbed again (stupid when I’m on jardiance) my blood sugars were always around 6s day and night, then I felt unwell, the most unwell I’ve ever felt, my bloods were still in 6s so put it down to a bug, I went to doctors and she said my ketones were 7.1 and I went to hospital. The rest is history
Woah as if! That's crazy!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Dudette1 - as I understand it, if you have anti-islet cell antibodies in your blood, you have T1, although in adulthood it can be slow developing T1.

Absence of anti-islet cell antibodies doesn't rule out T1, but the presence of anti-islet cell antibodies almost certainly rules it in. Because you have shown anti-islet cell antibodies, and they can come and go, there is little value in repeating the test.

Again, as I understand it, you may find, over time, that you will need more insulin to keep your blood sugars in a good place.

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the only test which may be useful to repeat is c-peptide to determine how much insulin you are producing - I don't think it would have much impact on your treatment ... so may be of limited value.