Is it possible for T2 to go hypo on just one Metformin a day

PSS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you in advance for answering this question.

I am a T2 and take one Metformin a day. I get a very anxious at the thought of going hypo. In fact if I check my sugar and it is around 4.6 mark, I quickly eat to avoid the anxiety of getting a hypo.

Your experience or advice will be greatfully received.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
It is possible for ANYONE D or non D, Diet or on meds to go hypo!
The salient point is how quickly you recover.
I am on D&E and if I am exerting myself mentally or physically, I can dip into the high 3's but my body "liver dumps" and my BG recovers, without assistance, to the high 4's/low 5's.

Reactions: 7 people

jeanodon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As already said any member of the population can experience a hypoglycaemic event.

It's rare for someone to experience a full blown hypo but, not unheard of and there are certainly members of this forum that have.

Without knowing more about your personal normal blood glucose level it's hard to determine if what you are experiencing is a real hypo.

I would suggest that you have a look around the website this forum is based on for the hypoglycaemic symptoms and also for 'False Hypos' as I suspect those are what you may be experiencing.

I'm not alone in experiencing a false hypo at 8 mmol / L blood glucose levels when I was gaining control of my blood glucose and lowering it from the very high damaging levels (consistently in the teens) after diagnosis.

If you have symptoms in the mid fours by all means eat something to raise you blood glucose. I would strongly suggest that you closely monitor your blood glucose afterward so that you have a good indication of what that food does so that you don't over correct.

4 to 5 mmol / L is a very good place to be for someone with type 2 Diabetes in my opinion. You may just need time for your body to adjust to running at that level? It will, trust me on that - mine did and there are numerous others on this forum who have had similar experiences.

Do some googling for normal non diabetic blood glucose levels - I'm sure that will reassure you and hopefully ease your anxiety. :)
i

jeanodon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I am new T2 and started on metformin SR yesterday, since finding out 2 weeks ago I have cut my carbs and following NHS diet. I am now experiencing symptoms of hypos's, weakness, shaking hands etc. This morning my pre breakfast blood sugar was 8.9 and had 1 oz porridge oats, pre lunch I felt terrible but my sugar was 6.5 which i know is not low. Can anyone tell me why this is please.

Hba1c 45
Glucose TT fasting 8.9 and post 18

PSS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As already said any member of the population can experience a hypoglycaemic event.

It's rare for someone not on insulin or insulin related drugs to experience a full blown hypo but, not unheard of and there are certainly members of this forum that have.

Without knowing more about your personal normal blood glucose level it's hard to determine if what you are experiencing is a real hypo.

I would suggest that you have a look around the website this forum is based on for the hypoglycaemic symptoms and also for 'False Hypos' as I suspect those are what you may be experiencing.

I'm not alone in experiencing a false hypo at 8 mmol / L blood glucose levels when I was gaining control of my blood glucose and lowering it from the very high damaging levels (consistently in the teens) after diagnosis.

If you have symptoms in the mid fours by all means eat something to raise you blood glucose. I would strongly suggest that you closely monitor your blood glucose afterward so that you have a good indication of what that food does so that you don't over correct.

4 to 5 mmol / L is a very good place to be for someone with type 2 Diabetes in my opinion. You may just need time for your body to adjust to running at that level? It will, trust me on that - mine did and there are numerous others on this forum who have had similar experiences.

Do some googling for normal non diabetic blood glucose levels - I'm sure that will reassure you and hopefully ease your anxiety. :)

Last edited to expand it's rare for someone not on insulin or insulin related drugs to experience a full blown hypo

Thank you so much.

My last a1c was 7.5. My fasting glucose is normally around 7.2. I did feel a false hypo at 4.6 last week and ate two sweets, banana and half a sandwich. Within 15 minutes my Be was at 7.9.

The thought of hypo really does scare me out!

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I am new T2 and started on metformin SR yesterday, since finding out 2 weeks ago I have cut my carbs and following NHS diet. I am now experiencing symptoms of hypos's, weakness, shaking hands etc. This morning my pre breakfast blood sugar was 8.9 and had 1 oz porridge oats, pre lunch I felt terrible but my sugar was 6.5 which i know is not low. Can anyone tell me why this is please.

Hba1c 45
Glucose TT fasting 8.9 and post 18
Hello Jean,

Like you I was diagnosed this year, back in June. It always surprises me that different people are affected by different foods. But I wonder if you checked out the carb content of your porridge oats? I avoid cereal as it just seems unbelievably high in carbs, like eating chocolate and chips for breakfast :hungover: (which I once thought nothing of) :hungover::hungover:

I'm on 2 Metformin a day - initially on 4 a day but reduced because my sugar was so low. At the moment I manage to remain in the 4's, pre and post meal but I have to watch what I eat. I've discovered I can still eat cheeseburgers with no affect - but if I eat the accompanying bun my blood will spike. It's a strange old world.

Since June I've also gone down 4 clothes sizes. Eating low carbs but not necessarily watching the fat has been good for my blood sugar and weight loss.

I have also discovered that sometimes just thinking about diabetes makes me come over weak and giddy. If my bloods are ok I assume it's sheer old fashioned anxiety but it's worth getting checked out that your medication is right for you and that you're not having genuine physical problems.

Reactions: 2 people

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much.

My last a1c was 7.5. My fasting glucose is normally around 7.2. I did feel a false hypo at 4.6 last week and ate two sweets, banana and half a sandwich. Within 15 minutes my Be was at 7.9.

The thought of hypo really does scare me out!
I'm new to diabetes too and still have lots to learn and to ask - but for us Type 2's isn't a hyper more worrying than a hypo? Surely 4.6 is no bad thing, no need to "sugar up" to raise those levels?

PSS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're not in the mega dangerous territory with your HbA1c or your fasting blood glucose level. They will become lower with some work.

How are you managing your type 2 Diabetes?

I think your anxiety related to the potential to hypo has made you overreact to avoid one. ;)

The banana would probably have been sufficient on it's own. I'm not surprised your blood glucose rose so swiftly in that 15 mins! :O

Are you able to describe how you felt both physically and mentally before you ate all those carbohydrates as a preventative measure?

I'm fairly confident, as you say you're on 1 Metformin a day, that your Liver will be capable of avoiding a full blown hypo for you. You may feel 'uncomfortable' when experiencing the low blood glucose levels but, if you test regularly at that time you'd probably see your body sort it all out for you on it's own.

I'd suggest you should only really start to feel concerned when you go under 4 mmol / L - "fours the flour" is a very misleading phrase that is used out of context a hell of a lot as how we all feel at various blood glucose levels is a personal experience.

I hope the web searching for normal blood glucose levels has allayed your fears somewhat.

Another factor to consider is that your blood glucose meter could be out by up to 20%.

So, if it reads 4.6 mmol / L you could actually be anywhere between 3.68 mmol / L and 5.52 mmol / L however, they do tend to be more accurate at the lower figures.

Thanks again. I was feeling both mentally and physically OK, I just thought I'll check the sugar and got really anxious when I saw result of 4.6 I then consumed all those carbs.

My nurse doesn't want me to keep testing my BG. But I had a seizure few years ago when I was on gliclazide and meteoric. I took the tablets but hadn't eaten my lunch. I was taken to hospital but was OK.

I then had another episode 4 months ago at work. I felt light headed and then went into panic mode. I drank a can of coke and ate half a sandwich. By the time ambulance arrived my BG was over 7but I was still feeling panicky. They thought I might be having a stroke. The hospital gave me clot busting drug but the consultant next day said, I could not have had a stroke. A second opinion with a neurological consltant also confirmed that.

Since then I have had this anxiety of going hypo. Although I am now much better.

My doctor and nurse both say there is nothing wrong and I should enjoy myself.

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2 diet controlled. I felt hypo today. Bg was 4.1 and I had the sweats and shakes, felt like I was gonna pass out in the middle of the supermarket (was food shopping at the time). My eldest boy (12) grabbed a pack of wine gums and made me eat one. Have felt yuk for the rest of the afternoon. I'm on antibiotics at the moment so I think the meds are messing with my blood sugars! Normally I would eat a digestive biscuit and that puts me back on track.

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks again. I was feeling both mentally and physically OK, I just thought I'll check the sugar and got really anxious when I saw result of 4.6 I then consumed all those carbs.

My nurse doesn't want me to keep testing my BG. But I had a seizure few years ago when I was on gliclazide and meteoric. I took the tablets but hadn't eaten my lunch. I was taken to hospital but was OK.

I then had another episode 4 months ago at work. I felt light headed and then went into panic mode. I drank a can of coke and ate half a sandwich. By the time ambulance arrived my BG was over 7but I was still feeling panicky. They thought I might be having a stroke. The hospital gave me clot busting drug but the consultant next day said, I could not have had a stroke. A second opinion with a neurological consltant also confirmed that.

Since then I have had this anxiety of going hypo. Although I am now much better.

Have you considered talking to a counsellor about your anxiety. Talking it through might help.

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was in my twenties I passed out through not eating for 12 hours. I normally ate every 4 or 5 hours. ) I suppose that was a hypo. I was not diagnosed diabetic till 56 years old.

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm type 2 diet controlled. I felt hypo today. Bg was 4.1 and I had the sweats and shakes, felt like I was gonna pass out in the middle of the supermarket (was food shopping at the time). My eldest boy (12) grabbed a pack of wine gums and made me eat one. Have felt yuk for the rest of the afternoon. I'm on antibiotics at the moment so I think the meds are messing with my blood sugars! Normally I would eat a digestive biscuit and that puts me back on track.
If you are diet controlled why are you having hypos.? Look at posts by Nosher..

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi keli,
I have been in the same situation as you shopping when I was really struggling. Do you eat regular enough to stop going hypo? A small low carb snack that won't send your BSLs up between meals is not a bad idea. If you are low carbing are you drinking enough water.
Is this a one off or are you getting them regular? It may be a bug?
Let us know how you feel.

Reactions: 3 people

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi keli,
I have been in the same situation as you shopping when I was really struggling. Do you eat regular enough to stop going hypo? A small low carb snack that won't send your BSLs up between meals is not a bad idea. If you are low carbing are you drinking enough water.
Is this a one off or are you getting them regular? It may be a bug?
Let us know how you feel.

Hi, it's the second time it's happened in the past 3 weeks. I've had a cold/cough virus for the past 3 weeks, had antibiotics for that and it's finally going but then on Tuesday night one of my dogs decided it's treat wasn't enough and had my finger too, so I've had to take another batch of different antibiotics for that now. I'm a walking disaster at the moment...lol!

I do eat regularly and self test on a regular basis. I usually eat 4 small meals a day so that I can keep good control without too many spikes. If I eat a big meal I tend to see 11-13 two hours after and I don't like seeing those numbers! I usually have lindt chocolate in my bag but didn't today!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

4.6 is not a hypo. Under 3.7 is what I look out for. You do seem nervous as you have every right to through your experiences. But you are probably feeling false hypos. Have a look around and read up on hypos and hypers.
By my experience stop taking high carbs especially soft drinks even if you do hypo. Keep us informed.

Reactions: 6 people

PSS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you considered talking to a counsellor about your anxiety. Talking it through might help.

Keli

I am preet sure if your body is fighting an infection then it can send your BG up and down.

I agree with the advice a small snack every few hours is the best bet.

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, it's the second time it's happened in the past 3 weeks. I've had a cold/cough virus for the past 3 weeks, had antibiotics for that and it's finally going but then on Tuesday night one of my dogs decided it's treat wasn't enough and had my finger too so I've had to take another batch of different antibiotics for that now. I'm a walking disaster at the moment...lol!
The anti biotics will certainly mess your BSLs up. Take it easy and just keep snacking if it persists have a look at the posts and threads on hypos and low bloods called hypoglycaemia.
Take care.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Mi
Hi, it's the second time it's happened in the past 3 weeks. I've had a cold/cough virus for the past 3 weeks, had antibiotics for that and it's finally going but then on Tuesday night one of my dogs decided it's treat wasn't enough and had my finger too, so I've had to take another batch of different antibiotics for that now. I'm a walking disaster at the moment...lol!

I do eat regularly and self test on a regular basis. I usually eat 4 small meals a day so that I can keep good control without too many spikes. If I eat a big meal I tend to see 11-13 two hours after and I don't like seeing those numbers! I usually have lindt chocolate in my bag but didn't today!
Missed the bottom paragraph. Carry a small apple or a digestive biscuit with you as you don't want to spike soon after a hypo. I eat 9 small meals and snacks during any one day to keep control. It seems you are doing well on low carb.

Reactions: 4 people

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are diet controlled why are you having hypos.? Look at posts by Nosher..
Diet controlled diabetics can and do have hypos. I queried this same question on a first aid at work course once and the training instructor was a type 2 diet controlled diabetic himself as well as a hospital nurse. He'd been talking about diabetes and how to deal with someone going hypo at work.

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mi

Missed the bottom paragraph. Carry a small apple or a digestive biscuit with you as you don't want to spike soon after a hypo. I eat 9 small meals and snacks during any one day to keep control. It seems you are doing well on low carb.

NINE ... Wow!