Is it possible for T2 to go hypo on just one Metformin a day

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Diet controlled diabetics can and do have hypos. I queried this same question on a first aid at work course once and the training instructor was a type 2 diet controlled diabetic himself as well as a hospital nurse. He'd been talking about diabetes and how to deal with someone going hypo at work.
What was his remedy for a mild hypo that wouldn't send you hyper?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
NINE ... Wow!
Im going to have my seventh about 9 ish. Greek full fat yoghurt with a couple of strawberries and a couple of pieces of 85% aldi dark chocolate. Sheer heaven!!

Reactions: 4 people

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
1 wine gum put me from 4.1 - 4.6. First time I've eaten a wine gum in 10 years! My son was gobsmacked and then proceeded to demolish the rest of the packet. Hahaha

Reactions: 2 people

PSS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5 Jelly babies or a twin pack of digestive biscuits.

Kelly

The nurse at my surgery also recommends jelly babies. She thinks chocs are not very good as they have fat and that slows down the absorption of sugar when you need it quickly as in the case of a hypo.

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kelly

The nurse at my surgery also recommends jelly babies. She thinks chocs are not very good as they have fat and that slows down the absorption of sugar when you need it quickly as in the case of a hypo.

Yes, we were informed on our first aid course that the old rule of a Mars bar was out of the window.

You mentioned you'd had banana, coke, etc. It's very easy to over eat when feeling hypo so be careful with that.

With regards to your anxiety about having a hypo, have you spoken to anyone professional who understands the psychological and physical process of stress and anxiety?

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Digestive biscuits always end up in a smashed up mess in my handbag ... Hahaha

PSS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, we were informed on our first aid course that the old rule of a Mars bar was out of the window.

You mentioned you'd had banana, coke, etc. It's very easy to over eat when feeling hypo so be careful with that.

With regards to your anxiety about having a hypo, have you spoken to anyone professional who understands the psychological and physical process of stress and anxiety?

Keli, I did a cognitive behaviour therapy CBT course online. I am also going to counselling session. I also do a small session of mediation/yoga everyday. I am much better now and am trying to beat it further!

Until recently I didn't let diabetes beat me, I am doing my best to get back to that stage.

Thanks for your advice in not to overdo carbs if feeling hypo :)

Reactions: 3 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi
I am new T2 and started on metformin SR yesterday, since finding out 2 weeks ago I have cut my carbs and following NHS diet. I am now experiencing symptoms of hypos's, weakness, shaking hands etc. This morning my pre breakfast blood sugar was 8.9 and had 1 oz porridge oats, pre lunch I felt terrible but my sugar was 6.5 which i know is not low. Can anyone tell me why this is please.

Hba1c 45
Glucose TT fasting 8.9 and post 18
You might be on too much metformin. How many are you taking? I was cut down from 3 to 1 and it stopped.
I don't eat the NHS diet as I become ill on the starchy carbs. You might find www.dietdoctor.com interesting. Quite a few of us on this forum eat this way.

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keli, I did a cognitive behaviour therapy CBT course online. I am also going to counselling session. I also do a small session of mediation/yoga everyday. I am much better now and am trying to beat it further!

Until recently I didn't let diabetes beat me, I am doing my best to get back to that stage.

Thanks for your advice in not to overdo carbs if feeling hypo :)
Good for you, it takes guts to ask for help, well done ;).

I found EMDR very helpful (I have had PTSD for a number of years due to a number of traumatic experiences). Took me years to finally ask for help.

jeanodon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I am new T2 and started on metformin SR yesterday, since finding out 2 weeks ago I have cut my carbs and following NHS diet. I am now experiencing symptoms of hypos's, weakness, shaking hands etc. This morning my pre breakfast blood sugar was 8.9 and had 1 oz porridge oats, pre lunch I felt terrible but my sugar was 6.5 which i know is not low. Can anyone tell me why this is please.

Hba1c 45
Glucose TT fasting 8.9 and post 18
You might be on too much metformin. How many are you taking? I was cut down from 3 to 1 and it stopped.
I don't eat the NHS diet as I become ill on the starchy carbs. You might find www.dietdoctor.com interesting. Quite a few of us on this forum eat this way.
I am only on 1 tablet of SR, i will check out the above link, thanks

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
What is going hypo like?

I am finding my sugar levels well above 7 in the mornings, after fasting. After meals (2hrs) my readings are normal for a non-diabetic. I am supposed to have type 2. I don't understand it. Is there something wrong with my meter I wonder?
I am still losing weight on the LCHF diet and so far haven't taken any oh the metformin tablets, cos I feel okay.

jeanodon.. Does the NHS recommend starchy carbs! Even I know that starchy carbs pile on the pounds. I've known that since I was a kid. You know, in the days when you could eat as much fat as you liked without raising uneducated eyebrows!

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What is going hypo like?

I am finding my sugar levels well above 7 in the mornings, after fasting. After meals (2hrs) my readings are normal for a non-diabetic. I am supposed to have type 2. I don't understand it. Is there something wrong with my meter I wonder?
I am still losing weight on the LCHF diet and so far haven't taken any oh the metformin tablets, cos I feel okay.
Hypo is low. like below 4 or less. people vary.

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a hypo a while ago and I'm diet only.
I was experimenting with porridge, spiked and did some exercise, which caused me to hypo.
I felt really unwell, had a hot flash that didn't go until my body corrected my bg.
I was left feeling unwell all day.
So they definitely happen, drugs or not.
I used to get low blood sugar years before I was diagnosed as Diabetic too.
Was a measured hypo or how you felt?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
What is going hypo like?

jeanodon.. Does the NHS recommend starchy carbs! Even I know that starchy carbs pile on the pounds. I've known that since I was a kid. You know, in the days when you could eat as much fat as you liked without raising uneducated eyebrows!
You probably should take the met to see if it impacts upon your fasting bs. A hypo is defined as anything which is 4 or under. You feel strange, disorientated, struggle to speak, dizzy, very tired. Generally rubbish.

jeanodon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Thanks for link, i am trying for 5 portions of low GI carbs of less than 30g each portion, losing weight as well, have not progressed to full dose of metformin yet. Obviously I am having false hypo's whilst my body adjusts to lower circulating glucose. Finding it much harder to cut down on Carbs than processed sugars like chocolate and cake,

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Take it from someone who had recurring hypos from my condition that they are not to be messed with.
Your life stops and the many different symptoms are just terrible, I am so wary now of hypos that I haven't had medium carbs for about six months and no high carbs for nearly a year.

Reactions: 3 people