Is it possible to use 'temporary basal' on t:slim x2?

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I found the temporary basal facility on Accu-Chek Insight useful from time to time, and I could have done with it last week. I do not seem to have a similar function on t:slim x2. My my blood glucose was raised four days after a flu jab. I was thinking of starting a new 'profile' but decided against it because it seemed too cumbersome when I had no idea for how long I would be needing it, and I was unsure if it would mess up my current profile. Instead I just kept giving extra bolus injection with a pen to to keep readings below 14. Obviously not a satisfactory solution but the best that I could manage at the time.
Are there any t:slim users who would gone to a temporary profile?

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hi, ElenaP,
I understood your frustration with this.
I am a t:slim user too. Their is a "Temp Rate" feature under options, but it id very poor. It only allows a change as a percentage of the current rate and if you push it to a high or low % then it will constantly remind you with a loud buzz every 5 mins, even if you have set it to 1 hour.

I found the best method is:
- Go go to Options > My Pump > Personal Profiles
- select your current profile
- press Duplicate
- give the copy a new name like "Temp Low" or "Temp High"
- Edit the Basal reading
- Confirm changes
- Activate the profile

I have a Low and a High profile on my pump and use them often.

The MAJOR disadvantage to this method is that you cannot set a profile to be active for a set period of time.
You have to fall back on another method to remind you. I use an Alarm on my phone. This is not ideal, but it sort of works for me.

Good Luck

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hopefully the flu shot reaction has calmed down.
I've also gone from AcuChek to Tandem but find it very easy to set a profile up as described above because you don't need to set it up for each hour of the day.
e.g. a illness/PMT etc. I think it is worth the 5 minutes it will take you as it is pretty easy to switch between the profiles and most of the time you will be in 'normal' mode.
I'd agree that not being able to set time limits on the profiles or Activity options (Sleep/Exercise) is not ideal. I've also been caught out by insulin switching off because I haven't touched the pump for 12 hours. That is because it is working so well that I haven't needed to! I do minimal carbs and can often not need a bolus for meals.
I use mine with Dexcom and I hope that soon this option will be more widely available (I have a generous CCG) as this has been a game changer for me personally. Most of my high readings are caused by human error (late bolus dosing or forgetting to change the set because I don't want to waste insulin in the cartridge).
Best of luck with getting used to this.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, ElenaP,
I understood your frustration with this.
I am a t:slim user too. Their is a "Temp Rate" feature under options, but it id very poor. It only allows a change as a percentage of the current rate and if you push it to a high or low % then it will constantly remind you with a loud buzz every 5 mins, even if you have set it to 1 hour.

I found the best method is:
- Go go to Options > My Pump > Personal Profiles
- select your current profile
- press Duplicate
- give the copy a new name like "Temp Low" or "Temp High"
- Edit the Basal reading
- Confirm changes
- Activate the profile

I have a Low and a High profile on my pump and use them often.

The MAJOR disadvantage to this method is that you cannot set a profile to be active for a set period of time.
You have to fall back on another method to remind you. I use an Alarm on my phone. This is not ideal, but it sort of works for me.

Good Luck
Thank you, I'll try the tonight.

Hopefully the flu shot reaction has calmed down.
I've also gone from AcuChek to Tandem but find it very easy to set a profile up as described above because you don't need to set it up for each hour of the day.
e.g. a illness/PMT etc. I think it is worth the 5 minutes it will take you as it is pretty easy to switch between the profiles and most of the time you will be in 'normal' mode.
I'd agree that not being able to set time limits on the profiles or Activity options (Sleep/Exercise) is not ideal. I've also been caught out by insulin switching off because I haven't touched the pump for 12 hours. That is because it is working so well that I haven't needed to! I do minimal carbs and can often not need a bolus for meals.
I use mine with Dexcom and I hope that soon this option will be more widely available (I have a generous CCG) as this has been a game changer for me personally. Most of my high readings are caused by human error (late bolus dosing or forgetting to change the set because I don't want to waste insulin in the cartridge).
Best of luck with getting used to this.
Thank you!