Is Metformin linked to leg cramps?

foxxyroxxy

A question for those who have been Diabetic (type 2) longer than me and who take metformin:

Do you/have you suffered with leg and/or foot cramps at night? I rarely suffered with cramps prior to diagnosis (6 weeks ago), but since taking metformin, I get it most nights.

I have researched this on the internet, but have found many conflicting opinions.

Any comments gratefully received.

Thanks! x

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi foxyroxy
there are a number of side affects with metformin so the probability is a yes,However if you consume alcohol in large quantities this also has the same side affect . If it does'nt stop it would be a good idea to let your GP know it's probably nothing to worry about but let them know anyway. :D

faircot

Funnily enough I've found the opposite. I used to suffer from frequent excruciating cramps in my hamstrings most nights. Since starting metformin three months ago I haven't had one episode.

Maybe your cramps are for another reason; diet with lower salt or other minerals, for example?

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Have you been put on a Statin ?? often linked to leg cramps

Inform your GP you have leg cramps then Ask for Quinine tablets if he does not offer them up
Brill for stopping leg cramps,

Sweeps slimline Tonic water has Quinine
I always keep a bottle at my bed side for the odd night time drink and use it to help take any and all
tablets

Bob

Reactions: filly

foxxyroxxy

Thanks folks!

Bowell - no to statins

Faircot - not changed salt intake since diagnosis and take a multi-vit/mineral every day

Justfocus - if anything, my alcohol intake has reduced

If it continues, I will mention it to my GP next time I see him.

Thanks again!
x

JLink

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A question for those who have been Diabetic (type 2) longer than me and who take metformin:

Do you/have you suffered with leg and/or foot cramps at night? I rarely suffered with cramps prior to diagnosis (6 weeks ago), but since taking metformin, I get it most nights.

I have researched this on the internet, but have found many conflicting opinions.

Any comments gratefully received.

Thanks! x
Yes. I started Metformin about 2 years ago. I’m down 20 lbs. my A1c is stuck at 6.9. I’m not eating perfectly. I started getting severe calf cramps both legs. So bad I wake up crying out. Then have severe muscle pain from the cramping for days.
I’ve never had these before. Going to dr next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danny Hyslop

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JLink , Metformin inhibits the uptake of Vitamin B12, which can lead to rather severe cramping. Which is why after a while on Met, someone should be tested for B12 deficiency, as you rather need the stuff. A supplement should help.

Good luck!
Jo

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin does incease blood levels of lactic acid, which can build up if kidneys not up to scratch. when I was on Metformin, I used to get pains in the calf just when walking like I had walked several miles, not just 100 yards. Stopped Met due to kidney issues, and no longer getting this problem.

p11carb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather
@JLink , Metformin inhibits the uptake of Vitamin B12, which can lead to rather severe cramping. Which is why after a while on Met, someone should be tested for B12 deficiency, as you rather need the stuff. A supplement should help.

Good luck!
Jo
That's me leg cramps - have never been given proper advice that works. Maybe it is metformin . Can find all sorts of useful stuff here thanks.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
try lack of salt as I used to have leg cramps and it used to wake me up during the night and I found out that it was lack of salt and I needed to put lots on my food so I did and it has stopped and now I use sea salt and it helps lots and I don't find I have as much in problems with cramps as I do with diabetic neuropathy as that I don't feel much in my feet and lower legs and it's a pain when you use hot water and you put your feet in before your body and you get the drift and that you have to watch out for

p11carb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather
thanks for the suggestions-my life a compromise now some days better than others..

ddsanch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes. I started Metformin about 2 years ago. I’m down 20 lbs. my A1c is stuck at 6.9. I’m not eating perfectly. I started getting severe calf cramps both legs. So bad I wake up crying out. Then have severe muscle pain from the cramping for days.
I’ve never had these before. Going to dr next week.
Just wanted to see how things worked out after discussing this with your physician.