Is My GP Trying To Kill Me?

MelanieL

I was diagnosed with T2 about a year ago. I was issued the standard 'eat plenty of carbs' advice, but fortunately found my way here within the first couple of weeks, and adapted my diet to lower carbing, and managed to get my Hba1c down to 5.1 by June. I am pleased with that, but know that it actually masks quite high post-prandial spikes, which are compensated by long periods of bs readings in the 4's. I know that insulin resistance can be helped by resistance training, so I joined a gym, and began working on that too.

I have lost about 4 stone, and after feeling initially quite positive, it has become obvious in the last few months that something is wrong - I flagged my concern with the dsn and my GP in May and June. I explained that my muscles are actually withering, and I am actually now at the stage that I can't exercise anymore because for the past 8 weeks, I have been suffering from the most alarming palpitations. I am now a size 10, and weigh just under 9 stone - and look like a withered hag. I went back to my GP again last Friday, and said how ill I'm feeling and that the palpitations are now incapacitating.

Many years ago, I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid, and take thyroxine on a daily basis - on diagnosis with diabetes, I asked about how they relate etc. I had my annual blood test for the thyroid levels last November, and was assured that everything was OK - now, nearly a year later, my GP checks again and finally notices that my levels are too high, pushing me into the overactive thyroid zone. This, she calmly announces, is why I'm having palpitations. I feel really let down - as everyone here knows, diabetes is a huge, life changing challenge that takes some getting used to. We should be able to rely on our doctors to read test results correctly and make necessary changes to our medication, whether it's directly related to diabetes or other long-term diseases.

I have really tried to rise to the challenge of diabetes, but feel completely undermined, as my poor body just feels so weak and knackered by the double whammy of this thyroid situation. Not to mention the constant anxiety of thinking maybe it was the diabetes and my decision to low-carb, which, as I have got thinner and thinner has been the cause of many arguments between me and my family, who are naturally, alarmed at how rapidly I have lost weight and how ill I look.

I'm waiting for some blood test results, and will go back to the GP. I just hope that there hasn't been any permanent damage to my heart, and that life will soon be back to normal.

Sorry to yap on about this, but I have reached one of those low points and need to share how angry I feel and how scared I am that my body is having to cope with yet another ordeal.

Thanks to everyone here, it is very comforting to know there is a place we can go to share our experiences.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
GP's are just that Melanie ,General Practitioners. Have you been referred to an Endocrinologist for more expert advice.

dragongirl

You have my sympathy, for what it's worth – especially for the "withered old hag" bit and the family's prompt accusations that you must be doing the wrong thing. So easy for others, isn't it?! I too feel sort of angry that taking charge by low carbing isn't entirely working because of unwanted extreme weight loss. Not everyone is overweight to start with. I think it's natural then to cast around for someone to blame. I mean, we did our bit, didn't we? So it can't be us.

I think Sue is right to say ask for an expert opinion. When I go back to the GP, I'll be doing the same, even though I really really wanted this life-long thing to be stabilised more quickly. Guess that was unrealistic... I hope you manage to get something satisfactory from whichever expert you choose. And hang in there cos there is more to life than diabetes. Me, I'm continuing with my fiction writing almost to prove I am still me. Do you have a lifeline for the times you feel so low?
DG

viv1969

I can only agree with those posts above.

For many conditions, including Diabetes etc., seeing the GP is a great first stop; however for long term treatment it's like taking a Ferrari to Kwik-Fit....It ain't gonna work.

Insist on being referred to an Endocrynologist as Sue suggests...and you do have the right to insist on it.

I hope you feel improvements soon. I know what it's like to feel like total **** for a long period of time and have the so called healthcare professionals do nothing to assist you.

MelanieL

Thanks Sue, DG and Viv

I know I will have to muster my energy and present a good case for a referral to an endocrinologist. It's funny, I can be very assertive on behalf of my family and friends, but find it much more difficult to hustle on my own behalf! I still remember how hard it was to obtain a prescription for 50 test strips per 2 months!

I try not to let diabetes define me or rule my life - I know it's about balance and perspective. Guess I've just been having a bad few weeks!