Is pricking your finger sore?

dizzygal

I am fine with blood tests - I can bare the feeling of the needle.

I have been feeling dizzy and shaky if I don't eat and I have a home test kit for checking glucose levels. I am sitting the now ready to prick my finger but everytime I go to press the button I freak out and can't do it! I am scared it will be sore.

Can anyone give me tips on how to make it less sore, and could you also let me know how sore it actually is!

Thanks!! I know...... I am a wimp!!

jopar

Free lancet each time and ensure that your finger pricker is set up to the right depth..

To set the depth, start on the lowest setting and see how much blood is drawn, you only need a little bit if you check your manual for your meter it should give a visual to how big the stop of blood should be..

Keep changing fingers avoid constantly pricking the same finger...

In truth very few people get sore fingers with the new finger prickers as the lancet are so fine and settings are adjustable to suit...

dizzygal

Thanks so much for your reply. I was going to try pricking my finger this morning but chickened out. I thought of a better idea though - I am going to eat my lunch so I do not feel dizzy and then try it (if I try when I already feel dizzy then I am more likely to feel sick with it). When I know I can do it, I will try fasting again and try it tomorrow morning.

As far as I know I am not diabetic but like I said I am testing as I get dizzy and shaky spells when I have not eaten for a few hours.

So it really isn't that sore then? The monitor I have is the accu check aviva, and the lancet pen is the accu chek multiclix.

Thanks

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
dizzygal said:
Thanks so much for your reply. I was going to try pricking my finger this morning but chickened out. I thought of a better idea though - I am going to eat my lunch so I do not feel dizzy and then try it (if I try when I already feel dizzy then I am more likely to feel sick with it). When I know I can do it, I will try fasting again and try it tomorrow morning.

As far as I know I am not diabetic but like I said I am testing as I get dizzy and shaky spells when I have not eaten for a few hours.

So it really isn't that sore then? The monitor I have is the accu check aviva, and the lancet pen is the accu chek multiclix.

Thanks

Hi dizzygal.
I note that you say you are not a Diabetic ? Can I suggest that instead of testing your blood glucose levels you concentrate more on eating at the correct times and also the right amounts. This will then avoid you feeling dizzy and shaky, which is just your body telling you that you need to 'put some fuel in the tank', in other words EAT. Anybody, Diabetic or not can suffer a hypo mainly from lack of food.

Is there any reason why you need to fast, religious perhaps ?

If after taking this advice you are still feeling the same way I suggest you discuss this with your GP as there may be some underlying cause which needs investigation.

dizzygal

Hi there,

Yeah you could be right. It's just when I've not eaten for a few hours I will feel dizzy and shaky and everyone else who has not eaten for the same amount of time are fine.

The only reason I was going to try it when fasting is because I was told this was the best time to try it. I guess this is not true?

I really want to test my glucose levels but can't press the button when it comes to it :?

Thanks

dizzygal

Hi everyone!

Just to let you know I just managed to do it... as I pressed it by mistake!! lol :lol:

Wasn't too bad. I have not eaten breakfast or anything. All I have eaten is half a bar of chocolate about an hour before testing my glucose. My result was 3.9. What does that mean?

Thanks

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
3.9 is pretty reasonable for someone who hasn't had breakfast.
It also supports the idea that your glucose metabolism is normal.
Hana

chappo25

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just been diagnosed with type 2, the nurse has just issued me with a bs tester.
She advised me to prick the side of my finger to get blood. She told me that there was less nerve endings on the side of the finger so it would not hurt as much.
Hope this helps

Hi to all :D

dizzygal

Thanks :) I managed to get the side of my finger when I pressed it by accident lol and yeah it wasn't too bad at all.

I am going to test my levels for a few days (although the one I did this morning shows my glucose is prob normal).

When is the best time to test and what levels should I be at?

Thanks very much

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
unless you have been told to test i wouldnt seeing as u arent diabetic, if u really want to then b4 food and two hrs after :)

jopar

No breakfast, 1/2 bar of chocolate an hour before a 3.9 reading pretty good non-diabetic response I would say Dizzy

I think that your problems lay, that you will be one of those people who need an constant top up of food at regualr interviews through out the day...

A good time for a fasting test is when you get up in the morning before having breakfast as this overnight is a natural fasting period while you'll sleeping... The body is a lot happier with this notion of fasting and it would give you are more realistic blood glucose level than not eating all night and best part into the day would..

Gazhay

I used to find pricking sore, but switched to the multiclix (accucheck) lancet system (although I don't have an accucheck meter). Much nicer.

That said, on some occasions I still use the standard OneTouch lancet device and it is not as sore as when I was first diagnosed, I guess your fingers get used to it.

One thing I used to do when I was getting tense about pricking in the beginning, I would pretend to press the button a few times, and then all of a sudden just press a bit harder. Worked for me if I couldn't 'just' press the button.

tomhanks991

Hi people,
I m very scared of pricking my finger. Can you guys suggest me the perfect kit for me to measure my diabities? some of my friends suggested me the accucheck kit, but i still wanted to confirm. I get so freaking scared at the time when the needle comes near me. I hate injections. So can you also suggest me how can i get my diabities in control through my diet. My diabities normally remains between 4-5. This is normal i guess? My doctor only suggested me to take insulines. I am not very sure that i will take them because of my threat.So please people help me out.

Yvonne-1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, pricking my finger is horrible. even on the middle setting. I followed advice on here that said if you prick your little finger, then it won't hurt so much... ow! pricking is sore

Reactions: 2 people

Senga

I find if I wash my hands first not only do I get a correct reading it get the blood flowing to my fingers thus I get the blood out on first prick. I have never pricked my pinky or thumb was told not to when first diagnosed.

Kansenji

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being obese.
Ouch!

Yes, I too don't like pricking my fingers; sometimes it stings a bit & other times it doesn't. I think it is just "pot luck"; you either manage to avoid a nerve or you don't. I do find that the little fingers are the least painful though. I was instructed not to prick the thumbs, and always to prick the sides of the fingers; NOT because it is less painful, but to avoid long-term damage to the nerves on the fingertips and the resultant inability to feel things by touch.

If only THIS fantastic product was available in the UK! The Pelikan Sun electronic lancing device seemingly causes little or no pain. Unfortunately, it is presently only available when bought online & delivered to a USA address. :x I recommend you view the videos. THIS video is very informative. :) The $199 price (= £120) could be a barrier to some people though; I expect the price to halve once the product becomes more widely sold.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
£60 quid for a lancing device!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think I will stick to the Onetouch and my prescribed lances. No problem with that!!!

Kansenji

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being obese.
sugarless sue said:
£60 quid for a lancing device!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think I will stick to the Onetouch and my prescribed lances. No problem with that!!!
You'll only get HALF of one for £60. :(

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
tomhanks
I don't understand your post. you say yourdiabetes( do you mean blood sugar?) is 4 - 5. Is this with medication?
When were you diagosed diabetic?
4-5 isn't very high, in fact it's pretty normal.
If you need help, you need to give a load more information.
Hana