ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Dr bernstein recommends it in patients how have slow digestion due to nerve damage to the digestive system. I know fat can slow digestion too so if on lchf diet I guess would be ideal.
Does it trap wind in your system thou? In some it does, in others not.
If your lucky to enjoy it, why not!

Reactions: pcs63

Vidgren

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat sugarfree gum all the time. Doesnt affect bs at all but dont overconsume.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat sugarfree gum all the time. Doesnt affect bs at all but dont overconsume.
I seem to remember Bernstein warning to check the carb content just to be sure.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you
Seems a bit of mixed views on sugar alcohols (polyols)as they are known.
Apparently the carbs are not the sort our bodies absorb ,just seems my latest sugar fix at the moment

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never been a fan as it makes me feel hungry sooner, probably all in the mind though.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It should be okay. Just don't " SWALLOW IT" or you'll have a bubblegum tree growing in your belly.:):):)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I've never been a fan as it makes me feel hungry sooner, probably all in the mind though.

Not all in the mind as such. Sweeteners have been said to fool the brain into thinking you are hungry. By that I mean when you eat (or chew) food that you expect to be sweet your brain expects carbs, when no carbs appear the brain sends out messages that you are hungry to get the carbs it was expecting. Some unfortunate people actually put on weight while on sweeteners.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I eat non aspartame filled gum.. and yes, it is good for a slow colon. It does also (for me) actually stave off eating.... but I'm not normal with hunger anyway...

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
I eat non aspartame filled gum.. and yes, it is good for a slow colon. It does also (for me) actually stave off eating.... but I'm not normal with hunger anyway...
What make is the aspartame gum and where can you but it,I chew sugar free gum but it has lots of sugar substitutes in it,I chew gum to relieve anxiety and use it a lot. K

Reactions: Pura Vida

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What make is the aspartame gum and where can you but it,I chew sugar free gum but it has lots of sugar substitutes in it,I chew gum to relieve anxiety and use it a lot. K

Either Pur Gum or Chewsy from Amazon

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only issue I could see with it might be if you keep dogs and there's any xylitol in the gum, as this can be extremely toxic to them even in minute quantities, if they steal a bit...

It should be okay. Just don't " SWALLOW IT" or you'll have a bubblegum tree growing in your belly.:):):)
:D:D:D

Sounds much more fun than "It will wrap itself round your heart and kill you" which is the dire fate we used to be threatened with in the good old pre sugar free days... if we ever actually dared just to put a piece into our mouths! :wideyed:

Robbity
(who survived and lived to tell the tale...)

Reactions: nomoredonuts

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The only issue I could see with it might be if you keep dogs and there's any xylitol in the gum, as this can be extremely toxic to them even in minute quantities, if they steal a bit...

:D:D:D

Sounds much more fun than "It will wrap itself round your heart and kill you" which is the dire fate we used to be threatened with in the good old pre sugar free days... if we ever actually dared just to put a piece into our mouths! :wideyed:

Robbity
(who survived and lived to tell the tale...)
I did used to buy the round pink bubblegum sickly sweet but loads to chew on, my mum used to say it would wrap around your heart if I swallowed it, never did. Haha! K

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did used to buy the round pink bubblegum sickly sweet but loads to chew on, my mum used to say it would wrap around your heart if I swallowed it, never did. Haha! K
We'll have to form a Chewing Gum Survivors Group then won't we!

I never actually bought mine, but we had some generous little friends who would share theirs with us.

Robbity

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
We'll have to form a Chewing Gum Survivors Group then won't we!

I never actually bought mine, but we had some generous little friends who would share theirs with us.

Robbity
Happy days!

Reactions: Ixarix

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Robbity . Considered going down the heart and death line but in the world we live in today ..........
Suffice to say someone would have taken the remark out of context.
Simpler times back in the day.:):)