Is this worrisome?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, my doctor at the hospital on the night of diagnosis said if a non diabetic were to sit and eat 5 doughnuts there bg wouldn't go over 11, no idea if this is true but , why not try eating 5 doughnuts and test what happens, even if it dosent answer your question at least you would have enjoyed the doughnuts, please eat the 5th in my name, best wishes

Reactions: 5 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi, my doctor at the hospital on the night of diagnosis said if a non diabetic were to sit and eat 5 doughnuts there bg wouldn't go over 11, no idea if this is true but , why not try eating 5 doughnuts and test what happens, even if it dosent answer your question at least you would have enjoyed the doughnuts, please eat the 5th in my name, best wishes

Sugar ring or jam filled?

godeh

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

That sounds extremely scary to me - I had 2 wheatabix sticks and teaspoon of sugar which sent my sugars to 10.6 possibly 20mins after... What the heck would 5 doughnuts do...

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
exactly!

That sounds extremely scary to me - I had 2 wheatabix sticks and teaspoon of sugar which sent my sugars to 10.6 possibly 20mins after... What the heck would 5 doughnuts do...

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
well, on the word of my unknown doctor, if you went over 11 you could get further tests, if not then you don't have to worry :) if you want to know, you may as well do an extreme test

this is pretty much all tongue in cheek, don't listen to me :)

godeh

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
well, on the word of my unknown doctor, if you went over 11 you could get further tests, if not then you don't have to worry :) if you want to know, you may as well do an extreme test

this is pretty much all tongue in cheek, don't listen to me :)

I know :) - a serious question now, everyone talks about the 1hour 2hour post meal sugar reading, so if I'm 11 or more within 15-30mins after eating, is that not important as long as it's down to good amount after the hour or 2?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
basically we eat glucose and its how we deal with it (or not) that makes us diabetic, so everyone gets the spike, its the fact that the spike stays spiked that does the damage, not that it was initially there as this is natural, but when we get the spike our pancreas starts working like crazy to produce the insulin to allow the glucose to get out of our blood and therefor avoid the damage it does, its probably better even for a non diabetic to not make a pancreas or any other organ work too hard if it dosent have to, so avoiding sugary unrefined carbs and basically junk food is better for everyone

godeh

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
basically we eat glucose and its how we deal with it (or not) that makes us diabetic, so everyone gets the spike, its the fact that the spike stays spiked that does the damage, not that it was initially there as this is natural, but when we get the spike our pancreas starts working like crazy to produce the insulin to allow the glucose to get out of our blood and therefor avoid the damage it does, its probably better even for a non diabetic to not make a pancreas or any other organ work too hard if it dosent have to, so avoiding sugary unrefined carbs and basically junk food is better for everyone

I understand, but I mean if I was to do this "5 doughnut" test and my sugars spiked up to lets say 14, 15mins or 30mins after consumption but back down to normal levels within the hour or 2 - would this be considered normal or the fact it went up to 14 is enough to say T2?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
not according to my doctor, i was denying the fact that i was diabetic at the time of diagnosis, basically saying "this must be a mistake i feel fine" when he said the thing about 11, but as i say i have no idea how true or accurate that is

godeh

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
not according to my doctor, i was denying the fact that i was diabetic at the time of diagnosis, basically saying "this must be a mistake i feel fine" when he said the thing about 11, but as i say i have no idea how true or accurate that is
Fair enough, thanks for your input!

As for jam doughnuts, I use to love them when I was younger but one day was in a longish car journey and decided to eat 1-2 jam doughnuts but started feeling car sick and nearly puked - ever since then any time I smell jam doughnuts I gag!

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sanguine,

Thanks for your reply - I did actually have a day without any carbs, I had 2 meals of grilled chicken and salad and throughout the day my sugars was in the mid-high 5's - even shortly after eating.

The reading the concerns me most is the 10.6, surely a non-diabetic wouldn't spike to that level?

But didn't you say that the reading after one hour was 6.5 ? In my book that shows that your body is dealing correctly with a meal that includes Weetabix.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
creme eggs were the same for me, i used to love em and one day my aunty bought me a tray! i tried to eat them all, it took me years to get over it, but i would love them again now were i allowed lol

godeh

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
But didn't you say that the reading after one hour was 6.5 ? In my book that shows that your body is dealing correctly with a meal that includes Weetabix.

That is true, but then again I've read online that if anyone hits 11.1 or over would be a diagnoses of diabetes? I've been reading a lot and I've got to a point where I don't really know what's right and wrong. Should I only test after 2 hours and ignore whatever the readings are before?

godeh

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
creme eggs were the same for me, i used to love em and one day my aunty bought me a tray! i tried to eat them all, it took me years to get over it, but i would love them again now were i allowed lol

Shame shame! I'm not too crazy about sweets luckily, my weaknesses are rice, pasta, potatoes and bread....

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is true, but then again I've read online that if anyone hits 11.1 or over would be a diagnoses of diabetes? I've been reading a lot and I've got to a point where I don't really know what's right and wrong. Should I only test after 2 hours and ignore whatever the readings are before?

If you reached 11.1 and stayed at that level for the rest of the day then you have a problem. Your readings are reducing in good time, so you do not have a problem with handling the carbs in your food consumption...