Is type 2 reversible with Prof Roy Taylor

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So I went along to the talk mentioned earlier on here in Newcastle this evening. Firstly, Roy Taylor is well worth listening to speak even if you don't buy his theory as he is an engaging speaker with a way of making a complicated subject available to a diverse audience.
Basically the talk covered an explanation of the development of type 2, with the loss of up to 50% beta cells by diagnosis which may have occurred over up to 20 years ( although the final fall into diabetic range is rapid and takes about 18 months) fuelled by two viscious cycles in the liver and pancreas involving fat storage and insulin resistance ( this bit was a bit scientific for me but that was the gist of it) as excess calories converted to fat in liver and stored and also deposited in pancreas thus screwing up its ability to deal with glucose in the blood plasma , leading to the rise we see in blood sugar levels. He showed a few slides of the MRI stuff that he uses to look at liver and pancreatic fat levels - about 5% is normal and some dieters went down to 2%
He then looked at how he'd seen the effects of bariatic surgery on BS levels and set out to replicate it with diet.
Points that came out of this were that a VLC diet had a rapid effect on normalising blood glucose levels with people dropping to normal fasting levels within days.
That some consequences of diabetes such as minor retinopathy and CVD were reversed or reduced by this reversal.
That about 2/3rds of people saw reversal. The rest had measurably better BG levels though not reversed.
Initial group had all been diagnosed for less than five years. Subsequent research has focused on long term type2s. Best results found in those under about 6 yrs.
new research being funded by DUK to roll out program in surgeries matched against controls to see of it could be a first line "treatment'
He showed photographs of street scenes from Newcastle from about 40 yrs ago and now and showed graphs to show how the BMI curve has shifted with more people obese and more people in higher range than in a generation earlier. So more people run risk of triggering type 2 if genetically susceptible. This led into a discussion of what he thinks is fundamental issue regarding type 2- namely that of personal fat threshold which he said explains why some folk can have an acceptable BMI but still be diabetic and some fatties never get it. The aim then of his protocol is to get below your PFT and stay there to lower BG and possibly reverse diabetes.
He didn't go into anything about beta cell regeneration which I know has been mentioned on here so reversal is maybe too strong a word and maybe extending life of remaining beta cells through halting the two vicious metabolic cycles maybe be a more long winded way of naming it? The jury is out on that I guess.
There were only a few questions as time was short. What came out there was that going on VLC not essential - just losing the weight to go below PFT is what matters, though of course the quicker it is done the better for the benefits of low blood glucose levels - so he was ok when someone suggested the 5:2 diet as an option. He also said that just cutting calories was ok.. By ditching carbs, reducing meat intake by about 2/3rds and eating loads of veg. He suggested there wasn't a one size diet for all, but did say that more people would lose weight low carbing than low fat dieting. 15kg seems to be about the average magical loss that his group had to reverse diabetes though the loss needed is proportional to starting point. I guess the VLC has the benefit of being quick and finite whereas your GP saying lose weight may not be enough for some folk to do it in time. Also exercise to keep weight stable and other health benefits but it won't lose you enough weight if you are middle aged and very fat! Also he acknowledged that statins increase BS and may push you into diabetic range if already on path but that we should be on them once diagnosed ( I smell some funding there)
So all in all an interesting talk and food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 16 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I went along to the talk mentioned earlier on here in Newcastle this evening. Firstly, Roy Taylor is well worth listening to speak even if you don't buy his theory as he is an engaging speaker with a way of making a complicated subject available to a diverse audience.
Basically the talk covered an explanation of the development of type 2, with the loss of up to 50% beta cells by diagnosis which may have occurred over up to 20 years ( although the final fall into diabetic range is rapid and takes about 18 months) fuelled by two viscious cycles in the liver and pancreas involving fat storage and insulin resistance ( this bit was a bit scientific for me but that was the gist of it) as excess calories converted to fat in liver and stored and also deposited in pancreas thus screwing up its ability to deal with glucose in the blood plasma , leading to the rise we see in blood sugar levels. He showed a few slides of the MRI stuff that he uses to look at liver and pancreatic fat levels - about 5% is normal and some dieters went down to 2%
He then looked at how he'd seen the effects of bariatic surgery on BS levels and set out to replicate it with diet.
Points that came out of this were that a VLC diet had a rapid effect on normalising blood glucose levels with people dropping to normal fasting levels within days.
That some consequences of diabetes such as minor retinopathy and CVD were reversed or reduced by this reversal.
That about 2/3rds of people saw reversal. The rest had measurably better BG levels though not reversed.
Initial group had all been diagnosed for less than five years. Subsequent research has focused on long term type2s. Best results found in those under about 6 yrs.
new research being funded by DUK to roll out program in surgeries matched against controls to see of it could be a first line "treatment'
He showed photographs of street scenes from Newcastle from about 40 yrs ago and now and showed graphs to show how the BMI curve has shifted with more people obese and more people in higher range than in a generation earlier. So more people run risk of triggering type 2 if genetically susceptible. This led into a discussion of what he thinks is fundamental issue regarding type 2- namely that of personal fat threshold which he said explains why some folk can have an acceptable BMI but still be diabetic and some fatties never get it. The aim then of his protocol is to get below your PFT and stay there to lower BG and possibly reverse diabetes.
He didn't go into anything about beta cell regeneration which I know has been mentioned on here so reversal is maybe too strong a word and maybe extending life of remaining beta cells through halting the two vicious metabolic cycles maybe be a more long winded way of naming it? The jury is out on that I guess.
There were only a few questions as time was short. What came out there was that going on VLC not essential - just losing the weight to go below PFT is what matters, though of course the quicker it is done the better for the benefits of low blood glucose levels - so he was ok when someone suggested the 5:2 diet as an option. He also said that just cutting calories was ok.. By ditching carbs, reducing meat intake by about 2/3rds and eating loads of veg. He suggested there wasn't a one size diet for all, but did say that more people would lose weight low carbing than low fat dieting. 15kg seems to be about the average magical loss that his group had to reverse diabetes though the loss needed is proportional to starting point. I guess the VLC has the benefit of being quick and finite whereas your GP saying lose weight may not be enough for some folk to do it in time. Also exercise to keep weight stable and other health benefits but it won't lose you enough weight if you are middle aged and very fat! Also he acknowledged that statins increase BS and may push you into diabetic range if already on path but that we should be on them once diagnosed ( I smell some funding there)
So all in all an interesting talk and food for thought.

Thanks for posting that Ethyl. Do you know if the talk will be published on the web anywhere? I would certainly be interested in watching it.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It wasn't mentioned but it was hosted by diabetes UK so maybe they will have more information.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank youuuuuuuuu. :)

I think I may email the man himself and see if you knows of any hosting arrangements.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've written. I'll feed back, as and when I have a response.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sounded like an interesting talk, I would have liked to have been there, but it was a bit far away.

It's interesting where he said ' that just cutting calories was ok. By ditching carbs, reducing meat intake by about 2/3rds and eating loads of veg. He suggested there wasn't a one size diet for all, but did say that more people would lose weight low carbing than low fat dieting'

The classic Newcastle diet seems to be the exact opposite, I'm using the shakes and veg method, by percentage it's primarily carbs, and some protein in the shakes, no fat, no dairy and non starchy veg.

Reactions: maryrachel

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The slides and audio will be available on http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/ , "in a few days time".

A lovely prompt response, and albeit probably crafted by a PA, I'm delighted.

Have I just become a geeky groupie?? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Reactions: 6 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I took home the message that shakes had been used because they removed the need for contact with food, were easy to quantify calorie wise and standardised the research experiment. Indeed he said you don't need to use Optifast as get were only used because Nestle donated them. He was very scathing of the nutritionist's search for the perfect diet as in his view all diets work for some people. I suppose because his research has focused on the loss of weight rather than the specifics of how you do it, he wasn't going to be very pro or anti carbs- it would have been interesting to have had more questions as I'd been keen to know what he thinks is driving the shift of the BMI curve to the right . Those such as Robert Lustig argue it's sugar consumption and suggest that fructose in particular causes the kind of deregulation in the metabolic system that was one of his cycles. Taylor alluded to the problem of leptin deficiency which causes those instances of massive obesity that the papers are fond of writing about and if memory serves me Lustig argues that it is this hormone and it's ability to regulate intake that is damaged by excessive carb consumption in form of high fructose corn syrups etc. I need to dig it out and reread it.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The slides and audio will be available on http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/ , "in a few days time".

A lovely prompt response, and albeit probably crafted by a PA, I'm delighted.

Have I just become a geeky groupie?? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

May have been. But he did seem a very genuine sort of doctor. Said he received hundreds of emails about it and kept up to date with lots of people all round world who send him results of their diets.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That appears to suggest 'There is now no doubt that this reversal of diabetes depends upon the sudden and profound decrease in food intake' and that the results were from ' profound negative calorie balance.'

I think I am seeing a different effect on this diet regime, than I did on my simple weight loss, and I lost nearly 30kg on that.

I would guess possibly the reason for the original diet was that both fat, and meat are very calorie dense for the volume of food, and to stick to the 800 calories would be a minimal amount of food, compared to the original Newcastle diet sheet.

I saw his original lecture here
http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94
I wonder if he is changing his views?

Be very interesting to see the new lecture, glad it's coming up soon.

I did an online course on the liver recently, as a diabetic, the pancreas tends to be the focus, but the liver is just as responsible for BG control. A fatty live can play havoc with it.
There was picture of a healthy, and fatty liver, amazingly, the fatty liver can be recovered, and returned to normal. But you can be slim, and still have a fatty liver. That's a marginal liver, despite it's appearance, it's not dismissed for transplant. A major problem we have are more donor livers are looking like it.

livers.png

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did wonder whether there was something unique to the protocol but he seemed to suggest that losing the weight was the important thing- though I'd think if pushed he'd say sooner rather than later which of course puts you in the lower calorie intakes immediately. And the drop to non-diabetic levels is going to be far quicker on a VLC. What would have been interesting is to compare a group doing this with a group low carbing as I found my levels went down from the 11s to the low fives within days just by cutting them out. He did point out that the protocol isn't for all as you are basically taking 8 weeks out of your normal life which might be too hard for some. So sort of mixed messages I think - what I took home was that weight loss of around 20% is a good target and that the protocol works in part because people who try it believe in it so stick to it. I think there's a tendency to listen to the GP say lose weight and lose a few pounds then go back to as before- this brings about rapid loss in a short period of time, improves levels and thus gives motivation to continue.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's my impression that 'they' have said long time that weight loss is an effective way of reducing the progression of diabetes but it's been very vague. It's just that Prof Taylor has been able to quantify it , show the mechanisms by which it may work and demonstrate that in some people a very rapid weight loss can, at least for a time, set diabetes progression into reverse.
If someone was told emphatically that weight loss on this sort of scale /time frame could potentially reverse a very serious condition* and were given a means to achieve it then it might well have a different outcome to a doctor just suggesting that losing a few pounds may help.
(though we have to wait for the trials to really know how effective it is in a bigger population and how durable the changes are)
*though I suspect many don't realise the potential consequences of diabetes.

In a US diabetes prevention trial they found that those who lost 10% of their weight in the six months after a prediabetes diagnosis were far less likely to develop diabetes in the next three years than those that didn't http://www.futurity.org/speedy-weight-loss-may-put-brakes-on-diabetes/

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Ethyl for posting this. A very interesting read.

Sadly, I have lost just over 30% of my weight with no more to lose but my HbA1c is still 45, so not "reversed" in my case..

cyclonic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls, armchair experts and bullies
So basically lose weight and move about more is the Holy Grail? I read some scam advertisement yesterday about a guy who stated he'd reversed his Type 2 by following a diet devised by Joseph Borden, anyone heard of him? This guy, Ricky Everett, who claims to be a professional marathon runner, says that within weeks of eating normal foods and supplements designed to destroy Free Fatty Acids he was "cured". The fact that his head was photoshopped onto a marathon runner was enough to make me suspicious.

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

Sadly, I have lost just over 30% of my weight with no more to lose but my HbA1c is still 45, so not "reversed" in my case..
Whatever research ...we really all are individual and different ...Kat
Great weight loss ....

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I think what he might say here is that maybe you do have more weight to lose....he said that for some people diabetes can happen at what the BMI curve thinks of as acceptable levels - so your BMI may be gone on the chart but you could be over your personal fat threshold and hence still have fat in liver and pancreas. I have set myself a target weight that is at upper end of what I was in my early twenties. I may have to go even lower to get into non diabetic range. Will just have to see.