It's working!

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've adopted a low-mod carb diet and only started doing this a week ago. I bought an SD Codefree so I could self-test and get an idea of my numbers.

Well, immediately on waking / getting out of bed this morning I've tested and it was 6.6 :D I know I need to get this lower but when having fasting tests at the Drs I'm usually up in the 7's. I hadn't eaten or had anything to drink so I'm going to have brekkie in a bit then test again in about 1.5-2hrs to see how the food affects me.

It's not been easy and my body has been craving carbs and I sat and watched hubby eat some lovely fresh thick white bread last night and resisted the urge to join him!

Reactions: 8 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Tiger, that's brill!

It will get easier. I've been watching my hubby eat "normal" foods including bread, spuds, rice puddings, Yorkshire puddings, cream cakes and so on for almost 12 months! Even I can't quite believe how I have resisted. It really doesn't bother me any more.

Reactions: 4 people

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, breakfast was 2 slices of wholemeal bread, scrambled egg made with 2 eggs and I added a little semi skimmed milk and some closed cup mushrooms. I had a large mug of tea made with semi skimmed milk (no sweetener or sugar as that's the way I've been drinking tea for years).

I tested a bit after the 2 hours, having eaten nothing and my reading was 5.8! :D:smug::joyful:

Reactions: 11 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, breakfast was 2 slices of wholemeal bread, scrambled egg made with 2 eggs and I added a little semi skimmed milk and some closed cup mushrooms. I had a large mug of tea made with semi skimmed milk (no sweetener or sugar as that's the way I've been drinking tea for years).

I tested a bit after the 2 hours, having eaten nothing and my reading was 5.8! :D:smug::joyful:

I'm very surprised at this reading 2 hours after 2 slices of bread (of whatever colour). Let's hope it continues for you, but do try the meal again another day and test at 2 hours rather than a bit after. And don't forget to test before as well.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will do @Bluetit1802. I really do hope it continues. I can't believe how much difference it's made reducing the carbs and what I put into my mouth - I'm becoming an alternative foodie!

Worried about hubby though as I got him to self test before eating and on waking - 9.9 (he'd had a bottle of beer, a glass of whisky and then a glass of milk before bed which he had fairly late in the evening.

He te a sugary bowl of cereal (Aldi's version of Frosties) :arghh: for breakfast and then followed that up with 4 slices of thick white bread. Needless to say after 2hrs or so he was sitting at 11.2:dead:

I'm hoping that by also getting him to self test with me it will shock him into taking action!!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think your hubby needs a visit to the GP for a blood glucose test. It sounds to me like he has come over to our side. Non-diabetics don't normally see a 9.9 on fasting, no matter what they ate the previous evening, and whilst non-diabetics can spike high after a sugary meal, he should not be in double figures at 2 hours. Those are diabetic levels. Of course, I'm no doctor or scientist, but better safe than sorry - get him to the surgery.

Reactions: 9 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Agree with bluetit. Those are very high readings that would seem to indicate something amiss and wouldn't be expected.

To put it into context, while my dad was staying over Christmas he asked for a blood test because he was worried he was seeing diabetic symptoms. I was obviously happy to oblige... His came in at 5.8 late afternoon which was slightly higher than mine at the time :smug: but still very much non-diabetic.

Reactions: 5 people

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Totally agree with your replies @tim2000s and @Bluetit1802

He had a letter come through from our Drs surgery a month or so ago inviting him for an NHS check / MOT (the one they are now offering once you get to a certain age ;) - he's just turned 50).

I'm going to have to nag him to book it and ask for a fasting blood test if this isn't part of it.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree with your replies @tim2000s and @Bluetit1802

He had a letter come through from our Drs surgery a month or so ago inviting him for an NHS check / MOT (the one they are now offering once you get to a certain age ;) - he's just turned 50).

I'm going to have to nag him to book it and ask for a fasting blood test if this isn't part of it.

The MOT will include it, and he really ought to go irrespective of any potential diabetes. You get a thorough check up. I have a friend who refuses to go to any screening tests or MOT's. It's lunacy in my opinion. My diabetes was picked up on my MOT. Had I not gone I might be very poorly by now. Do your best to persuade him.

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Mine would probably be higher than that.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

I find a 2 hours after eating test is around 6. More significant IMO is at ONE hour. If I take a cereal b'fast (now only as experiment) I get a reading in the teens. I would modify that b'fast by having 1/2 piece of buttered toast & full-fat milk. Fat doesn't affect blood sugar, & provides double the calories of carbs, so you need less, & it's more sustaining.

7 years ago the effects of diabetes were crippling (after 8 years of the high carb, low fat DUK/NHS diet) although my BG readings were around 7 & HbA1c below 7 - which wouldn't account for the trouble. I believe the 1 hour spikes that I now am fairly sure were occurring were the cause of high sugar damage, even though it didn't show up on the testing I was doing.

Even now when I have a choc or cereal bar (only on a long drive) my reading is down to 6 ish after 2 hours. We need to measure the spikes.

Reactions: 6 people

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find a 2 hours after eating test is around 6. More significant IMO is at ONE hour. If I take a cereal b'fast (now only as experiment) I get a reading in the teens. I would modify that b'fast by having 1/2 piece of buttered toast & full-fat milk. Fat doesn't affect blood sugar, & provides double the calories of carbs, so you need less, & it's more sustaining.

7 years ago the effects of diabetes were crippling (after 8 years of the high carb, low fat DUK/NHS diet) although my BG readings were around 7 & HbA1c below 7 - which wouldn't account for the trouble. I believe the 1 hour spikes that I now am fairly sure were occurring were the cause of high sugar damage, even though it didn't show up on the testing I was doing.

Even now when I have a choc or cereal bar (only on a long drive) my reading is down to 6 ish after 2 hours. We need to measure the spikes.

Hi, I will try to remember to test before and about an hour after eating when I next test and see what result I get. I have plenty of eggs so maybe I'll try scrambled egg and 2 slices of wholemeal toast again tomorrow morning and see if I get a similar reading.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done @tigerlily72
I do fear for the hub though, and agree with @Bluetit1802 and @tim2000s
Make sure he doesn't change his diet to low carb before he goes to Dr's for testing though....
I'd get him to ask for the HbA1c test as well.
Good luck x both of you :cool:

He definitely isn't low or moderate carbing and eating junk IMO - he had a large portion of chips and a burger from the chippy for his tea this evening! I had smoked mackerel, wholemeal basmati rice with mushrooms, sweet peppers (red & yellow) and red onion. I followed that with greek natural yoghurt and mixed summer fruits (i.e. raspberries, blackberries, redcurrants).

I'll continue to "push" him until he makes that appointment!

Reactions: 6 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Agree with bluetit. Those are very high readings that would seem to indicate something amiss and wouldn't be expected.

To put it into context, while my dad was staying over Christmas he asked for a blood test because he was worried he was seeing diabetic symptoms. I was obviously happy to oblige... His came in at 5.8 late afternoon which was slightly higher than mine at the time :smug: but still very much non-diabetic.
A single (fasting?) blood glucose level reading surely isn't enough to rule out diabetes! If he has symptoms of having diabetes he should get checked by a doctor. And soon.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well I'd agree, except it wasn't a fasted test as we'd fed them about two to three hours earlier.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Well I'd agree, except it wasn't a fasted test as we'd fed them about two to three hours earlier.
Nevertheless, one test is not enough to rule out diabetes, especially if that person has diabetic symptoms.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
No, but to not be high in the two to three hour post prandial period does make it extremely unlikely. Given his health history, I am certain he will discuss it with either the GP or consultant on his next visit if symptoms continue.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Morning

Well, as it's Sunday I've not long tested, and again prior to eating/drinking and before I start moving around. I got exactly the same reading as yesterday morning - another 6.6 :D. I've not long finished eating the same breakfast as yesterday minus the mushrooms so will test again at around 11.15am and see what I get . . .

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back again! Tested about 80-90 mins after finishing breakfast and got 6.3

I think I will experiment with some different foods, possibly cereal next weekend to see what that does to my readings.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back again! Tested about 80-90 mins after finishing breakfast and got 6.3

I think I will experiment with some different foods, possibly cereal next weekend to see what that does to my readings.

Try to test at 2 hours after your first bite. You need to be consistent with your timings or the long term patterns will be meaningless.
Are you writing all these down, including your food and portion sizes?