Japan

trand

Hi all,
Just got back from 3weeks in Japan flew with Finnair, was lucky enough to be in business class, and what a result one of the stewardesses husband is t2, so she really helped me out with low carb stuff,and told me that in Finland they too promote the starchy food stuff for diabetics, which she was against.
As for Japan, well it was abit hard, as most of the food is rice or noodle based, so by eating minimal amounts managed to keep bs down in the 6's, nice country but not much to do, we think traffic is bad, we have it cushy, 15k ( about 12miles) 2-3 hrs, and thats normal, everyday..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sounds like you fell lucky with the stewardess trand! :)

trand

yep i sure did but it was a diiferent story on the return flight, just had to pick out the bits that I felt safe with, and the bites the other half did'nt want,

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
trand said:
yep i sure did but it was a diiferent story on the return flight, just had to pick out the bits that I felt safe with, and the bites the other half did'nt want,

Could you not pre-order your meal of choice with the airline concerned?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
trand said:
As with most airlines thier meal for diabetics was a plate of complex carbs...

There was a discussion on the forum a few months back where someone said that the long-haul carriers will provide a suitable meal to your own dietary needs if you give them adequate time to fulfil the request, I appreciate as a type 2 a meal consisting of complex carbs wouldn't be ideal for you.

Nigel

Otenba

Dislikes
peanuts, coffee, spiders, flies, bees, wasps, coffee, coffee sweets, being picked up, being ill, bad sugar levels
Hi trand! Nice to know there's another diabetic on the forum who's at least been to Japan! I've been there on a two week holiday twice and loved it (even during the second trip when the tsunami and earthquake occurred, I have not been put off going again in future)!

While I was over there last, I found that familiarising myself with the characters for "carbohydrate", which I commonly saw as 淡水化物 (tansika-butsu) on the food labellings, was a great help! I often got some decent grub from convenience stores - it still amazes me now that they're clever enough to have a label stating per serving on even their hot dishes that you can get heated up in the store!

While on the plane I had the Japanese meal considering I don't mind taking a guess at how much it'll be for the trip. :) I hope you enjoyed your time there despite the in-flight issues!

My bigger hassle was getting my split doses of Lantus working okay despite the time zones but thankfully, it works out to be roughly like flipping the day over on itself! I'm still not sure if my body adjusted fully from doing so considering my morning became night and vice versa!