Joint pain and insulin

Davecummins

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been using insulin for about 6 months. I have gained quite a bit of weight (83 to 97k), I’ve been eating more so I am fairy confident this is the reason. I feel as though I’m on high dose statins could this be caused by insulin? I take about 28 units of long acting insulin and around 30 units in total of rapid acting insulin each day. My readings are under better control with an estimated HBa1c of about 48. Anyone else got the same problem?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been using insulin for about 6 months. I have gained quite a bit of weight (83 to 97k), I’ve been eating more so I am fairy confident this is the reason. I feel as though I’m on high dose statins could this be caused by insulin? I take about 28 units of long acting insulin and around 30 units in total of rapid acting insulin each day. My readings are under better control with an estimated HBa1c of about 48. Anyone else got the same problem?
Looks like there are 3 possible reasons for this joint pain: Weight, statins, and insulin.
Joint pain is a common side effect for statins, and a rare side effect for only a few insulins, insulin glargine, which is the long acting Lantus, Toujeo, (A)basaglar.
Do you take the statins as a general precaution for diabetics or do you actually have your lipids levels out of whack?

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I take a low dose of statins (Atorvostatin 10mg 1x daily) - pardon any misspellings - and use both Lantus and Humalog. I occasionally have joint pain, but I also have arthritis so I really couldn't say what is causing your joint pain.

Davecummins

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t actually take statins but I am aware of joint pain re statins as my older sister had to stop taking them as a result of this. My lipid stats are all perfect except at that time, for high glucose. I take insulin glARGine in total 28 units per day and insulin aspart about 30 units per day before eating. Before insulin I was on various meds that had no effect. I have never suffered with joint pain before taking insulin except for a tender left elbow joint which was the result of a fall during a training session when I was younger, I’m 74 next week. Now my knees and right elbow are very weak and painful. I have T3c diabetes after a bout of pancreatitis that put me in hospital for 3 weeks 14 years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t actually take statins but I am aware of joint pain re statins as my older sister had to stop taking them as a result of this. My lipid stats are all perfect except at that time, for high glucose. I take insulin glARGine in total 28 units per day and insulin aspart about 30 units per day before eating. Before insulin I was on various meds that had no effect. I have never suffered with joint pain before taking insulin except for a tender left elbow joint which was the result of a fall during a training session when I was younger, I’m 74 next week. Now my knees and right elbow are very weak and painful. I have T3c diabetes after a bout of pancreatitis that put me in hospital for 3 weeks 14 years ago.
I used to be on glargine (Lantus) and developed aches and pains shortly after starting it. I switched to Tresiba for unrelated reasons and suddenly I could walk without pain again.
Might be worth seeing if you can try a different basal like Tresiba or Levemir to see if the pains improve.

Unrelated, but your profile says you're on tablets, not insulin, maybe update the profile info to prevent confusion?

Davecummins

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks I will change my profile next. I am due to see my GP soon for a review I will ask to change to Tresiba. Great to get this info as my usual review is with a practice nurse that can’t answer any questions regarding insulin. I’m lucky that I was prescribed Freestyle Libra 2 not sure how I would fare on insulin without this. Thanks for the information.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Antje77