Journalist praised for recovering from hypo live on air

DCUK NewsBot

A presenter with type 1 diabetes working for the BBC World Service has been praised after recovering from hypoglycemia live on air. Alex Ritson's blood sugar levels dropped just as he was introducing The Newsroom show, shortly after 5pm on Friday 1 December. As the journalist started to talk about a story involving the Pope travelling to Bangladesh, he became confused, stumbling on his words and becoming hesitant. As he began to recover, Mr Ritson then moved onto a news story involving a diabetes study published in the journal The Lancet, which he suggested was "appropriate". Mr Ritson told listeners: "I should apologise at this stage for the slightly confused start to this programme. I have type 1 diabetes and I had a low sugar attack, a 'hypo', just as we came on the air which caused me a little confusion in my opening sequence, so many apologies for that." People took to social media following the incident to congratulate the journalist for recovering well. A Twitter user by the name of @High_Net_Wife tweeted: "Well done to the BBC World Service presenter @bbcworldservice for coming back from a very confused intro. Being honest and explaining why the confusion had happened. He told the listeners that he has type 1 diabetes and his blood sugar level had dropped. #strong #honesty #true." A representative for the BBC said: "One of our presenters was a little unwell while on air this morning. The presenter came back on air later in the programme and explained to listeners that they have type 1 diabetes and were feeling better." Hypoglycemia, also referred to as a hypo, is triggered when blood sugar levels fall under 4 mmol/L and can be caused by too much insulin or not enough food. Hypo symptoms can vary but commonly include feeling dizzy, hungry, sweaty, experiencing a change in mood, trembling or finding it difficult to concentrate. People with diabetes can get support in helping to prevent and treat hypos by joining our Hypo Awareness Program, an education course to help improve your knowledge of hypo symptoms and learn more about how hypos develop.

Continue reading...

Reactions: Guzzler

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
A presenter with type 1 diabetes working for the BBC World Service has been praised after recovering from hypoglycemia live on air. Alex Ritson's blood sugar levels dropped just as he was introducing The Newsroom show, shortly after 5pm on Friday 1 December. As the journalist started to talk about a story involving the Pope travelling to Bangladesh, he became confused, stumbling on his words and becoming hesitant. As he began to recover, Mr Ritson then moved onto a news story involving a diabetes study published in the journal The Lancet, which he suggested was "appropriate". Mr Ritson told listeners: "I should apologise at this stage for the slightly confused start to this programme. I have type 1 diabetes and I had a low sugar attack, a 'hypo', just as we came on the air which caused me a little confusion in my opening sequence, so many apologies for that." People took to social media following the incident to congratulate the journalist for recovering well. A Twitter user by the name of @High_Net_Wife tweeted: "Well done to the BBC World Service presenter @bbcworldservice for coming back from a very confused intro. Being honest and explaining why the confusion had happened. He told the listeners that he has type 1 diabetes and his blood sugar level had dropped. #strong #honesty #true." A representative for the BBC said: "One of our presenters was a little unwell while on air this morning. The presenter came back on air later in the programme and explained to listeners that they have type 1 diabetes and were feeling better." Hypoglycemia, also referred to as a hypo, is triggered when blood sugar levels fall under 4 mmol/L and can be caused by too much insulin or not enough food. Hypo symptoms can vary but commonly include feeling dizzy, hungry, sweaty, experiencing a change in mood, trembling or finding it difficult to concentrate. People with diabetes can get support in helping to prevent and treat hypos by joining our Hypo Awareness Program, an education course to help improve your knowledge of hypo symptoms and learn more about how hypos develop.

Continue reading...

Continue reading...
This is brilliant in so many respects. Alex Ritson could not be in a much more exposed position, and could be prone to embarrassment like anybody else. To experience challenged control of faculties in such conditions would make most people wish for the ground to open up. There is of course the added problem of the length of time it takes for full cognitive function to be restored. Yet Mr Ritson not only publicly apologised for something beyond his control and was in no sense blameworthy, but he also went out of his way to explain the occurrence to his listeners. What better way to educate the public?

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Praising someone in whom cognitive symptoms appeared before more benign systemic symptoms? Really sheeple. Look at the science in more detail. This episode will not make employers more likely to take on t1s.

chrismbee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Mr. Ritson must be an intelligent man, to have achieved what he has in life. It is consequently fair to assume that he has an adequate understanding of his diabetes in order to do his job.
The fact that he experienced a surprise hypoglycemic episode is not unheard of: in my 35 years with T1, I have had a few hypos which I could not explain. I think this is just something that can happen and is the reason I always try to have emergency sugar on hand.
Mr. Ritson deserves praise for the way he handled the situation, as well as providing a public profile to T1 / hypos which will, hopefully, help to educate and raise awareness.
Whilst I have never broadcast my condition (I don't have "Diabetic" tattooed on my forehead!), I also don't hide from it; if it happens to crop up, I discuss it openly. This is especially important with employers and colleagues, so they are aware of the condition and its possible side affects. Diabetes has never had an adverse affect on my career.

Last edited: