Jury service

Garyg 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been called to do jury service this July, I’m really worried about my libre alarm going off in the court room. Has anyone else had to do this and how did you get on? Thanks.

• Friendly
Reactions: jjraak

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Can you ask the Court officials for guidance about how to deal with this?

Reactions: jjraak and Marikev

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Fill out the forms and explain the condition, explain the libre, explain that you may need extra breaks for treatment/food

In my case they write back and said that’s fine they will setup a raise your hand for a recess

Then 2 weeks later I had a letter relieving me from duty

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I was relieved from jury service a few years ago, although I take insulin I was not then on a Libre monitor, but claimed exemption at that time as I needed to urinate more regularly due to a drug , and it would be a bit inconvenient… no trouble about exemption. Oddly I had done jury service only a few years earlier yet I know many of my age (70) or older who never get asked!

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When in a theatre I put my volume low and pop the unit in my pocket so I feel it on vibrate.

Reactions: MissMuffett

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I was asked a year or two ago and i explained my diabetes and Bile acid malabsorption might well cause a problem and they excused me but said i might be asked again in the future!
Evidently the person on the other end of the communication wasn't part of the medical profession.....

Tony

• Funny

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was asked about 20 years ago and I wrote and said I’d just started a new job and could I be excused of this, they said yes but I might be called again. I never have been recalled. I think they’re quite understanding.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I understand why many people may not want or able to do Jury Service.
I would find it fascinating (even though I understand there could be a lot of waiting around) yet I have never been asked.
I am sure I could find a resolution to my CGM/pump alerts.

If only Jury Service was transferrable.

(I understand it is not suitable physically, mentally and financially for many. My comment is not intended to belittle that.)

• Agree

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I’ve been called to do jury service this July, I’m really worried about my libre alarm going off in the court room. Has anyone else had to do this and how did you get on? Thanks.
You can just turn your alarm off , I don't know if you're aloud to take your phone in with you anyway so you could use that as an excuse .