Just diagnosed type 1

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great news! You're in good hands. What did they say about the practice nurse fobbing you off with 'See you in a month'?

Reactions: 2 people

wholefrost

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
lesley knew Janet and she said she did the right thing but not enough. saw Solomon as well.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi wholefrost.
like u I became a type 1. When I hit 40!
its very rare at that age.
the only advice I will give is this.
a dietician will help u a lot as (she) did me. A lot more Than the nurses did at the time.
do go for the retinal screening. Its so worth it.
now u a diabetic u should get free eye test every year. Well worth it. N free prescriptions.
one thing more.
the book " carbs @ cals". By Chris cheyette & yello balolia. A big help with meal sizes n how much insulin to take.
other than that things can take time. So try not to worry.
sal

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi @wholefrost

Did you say you've applied for your exemption card for prescriptions.. They are only free if you have that card in your possession.

Are your health team giving you more contact and did they tell you to give your bolus insulin before each meal- to test pre meal and 2hrs after each meal?

wholefrost

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi got my meating with the dietacian Friday and followup with the hospital same time. I sent off my letter and am waiting on the card.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Luck Stewart!! Hope everything works out well for you.

Looking at the responses in this thread..have to say..the people on this Board are FANTASTIC!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hi got my meating with the dietacian Friday and followup with the hospital same time. I sent off my letter and am waiting on the card.

Best advice is to pay for your prescriptions until you receive the card. If you don't get wlit within 10days then go back to GP and see if they have sent off the form! Unless you yourself sent it off. You can claim any money back.

Good that you got dietitian Friday and follow up.. Are you injecting bolus for your food now?

Are your levels coming down?

Matt J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @wholefrost you'll be in good hands at the Hallamshire. I haven't lived in Sheffield for about 15 years but have good memories of the team and care received from the clinic at the Hallamshire.

Edited to remove professional names.

Last edited by a moderator:

wholefrost

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys.
im not coping very well at the moment, my girlfriend and the mother of my kids and I are going through a bad time and looks like we may end up going our separate ways, she says im not the person she knew and ive let myself go. Whilst I need a shoulder to cry on im feeling very down that my family life looks like its coming to an end and with being diagnosed with diabetes type 1 am feeling very low. If only I could turn back time to a point where I could make so many changes. even now I feel like crying whilst writing this post from work. Guys please help I need your support more than ever.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
It comes as a shock to everyone who's been thru that and no doubt is exacerbated with the diabetes. Perhaps counselling might help but if it were me, I'd ask for a one to one sit down so you can try and work thru it. Hope it works out well but I would persist with evidence you have and will continue to turn your life around. Strength to you.

Mike :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@wholefrost

Sorry you are going through such a bad time.

Have you sat opposite each other at a table and spoke face to face and asked for partner to bear with you whilst making changes to your lifestyle?

I say across a table as I took my hubby to counselling etc and it was the first thing counsellor told us to do. Not to argue or talk standing up, not to sit on comfy chairs etc.
To talksat opposite each other at a table takes the heat out and formalises and helps discussions.

You never see board directors of companies making decisions or discussing on sofas ir standing up.. Always at a table...

It worked for us... It really helped the talking.

At one point we had no floor downstairs so I got a coffee table lugged up stairs and we did sit on the floor at it in our bedroom.

Ground rules are that no one walks away from the table or moves from the sat position without the other persons agreement.. Not even to the toilet...or coffee...

Obviously we don't know the reasons for relationship ending but it is a huge turmoil to go through.

It is important that through this you do prove that you can look after yourself...and improve things that have brought relationship to end...

You do need to take control of your diabetes as this will help when your levels are lower etc. So having relationship trouble is actually a reason to take control of T1 as it is also proof that you can change!!!