Just diagnosed with Type 1 (26 yo male)

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed over the weekend with Type 1 after complaining of excessive thirst to my GP. My blood glucose was 29 and I was admitted to A&E and stayed in hospital two nights.

No history in my family and I am fit and active so it came as a huge shock and I'm still getting to terms with it.

My problem at the moment is my levels are just all over the place - mainly in the high teens still but they've just put up my basal from 6 to 10 so hopefully that will help.

I know it's early days and I'm going to need to get used to the insulin pens but could anyone tell me about the pumps? Are they available on the NHS and would your recommend them? I'm definitely struggling with all the injections although to be honest I find the testing even worse and obviously you'd still have to do that with the pump?

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself...I'm sure I'm going to have so many questions so this is an invaluable resource.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

I'm a type 2, no medication, so I can't answer your questions, but someone will be along soon.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi and welcome to the forum Pinewood :)

The first few weeks and months is always the worst as there's so much to take in, but be assured it does all begin to make sense in time and things will get much easier for you.

Just follow the advice of your diabetes team on adjusting your insulin for now, injecting insulin is tricky at first but you soon learn the techniques and you'll be doing it in no time at all, the following has some useful information that should come in handy:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7259

As for pumps, that will have to be several months down the raod and they will only consider you for one if you have tried injections.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum, there are lots of sections on the forum that could be useful and lots of us diabetics with lots of experience too ( if needed), :D

Best wishes RRB :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm sure once you get control of you insulin shots your sugar swings will settle and you may find the need for a pump recedes. My excllent DN told me to adjust my Basal to get my morning fasting sugar between 5 - 7 i.e. normal. She sensibly said only to make a change every 2-3 days if needed and 1 unit at a time. Your meal-time Bolus can be managed once carb-counting is explained to you; do ask the DN about that or ask more in the T1 forum if you can't get hold of the DN for a while

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, Daibell. My basal was 6 units and I was told to try 10 units last night. I started getting worried about having a hypo when I was in bed so ate some nuts and a biscuit. BS at 3am was 13 and this morning was 12 so I probably shouldn't have worried. Interesting what you say about only making changes every 2-3 days and only by 1 unit. I was told that if it was still high in the morning to increase by 2 units every day until it's normal

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I was being cautious and so was my DN. I'm sure the advice you were given by the nurse is fine. I still only change by 1 unit at a time (I'm typically 12 units Basal per day) but do adjust each day if needed when ill etc.

Ki26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 26 just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes blood sugar levels are very high and finding it difficult and confusing . Hope u start feeling better