Just diagnosed with Type 2

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm on a low carb high fat bare foot diet for my diabetes so far it's working well.

K

Kat100

;) Only in the house and on the odd occasion in the garden, it's one of life's pleasures to walk barefoot in the grass.

I have diabetes but I will never be cowed by my condition should I develop neuropathy then maybe I will change.
Please look after your feet though ....

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 4 people

Supermario46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got diagnosed in March '14 and aside from a retinopathy scan and now an invitation for the "flu jab" all I've been told is to lose weight. The nurse throws figures at me hasn't mentioned testing,looking after my feet etc etc.So far,ALL of the info I have, has come from here or other websites. Just got my first meter and started to test today,I know that I need to take this seriously,so surely the NHS should too.

Reactions: 5 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
WOW there is certainly some differences here. I was informed I had diabetes by a receptionist. I saw the diabetic nurse who put me on metformin. Second time she weighed me. I did get referred and have had retinoprathy test. That is it. Oh and told about the eat well plate. Ive learned a tremendous amount from this website. I have been told I dont need to test but have now ordered a codefree after info from this site. I wish I could remember which thread had the promotion code for the lancets. :)

Reactions: 4 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My lovely friend Joy was always so careful of her feet, she didn't have neuropathy either, she was out shopping and stubbed her left big toe, 3 months later she lost her toe then her foot, then her leg and finally septicaemia took her from us all in 9 months, don't risk it, keep feet covered

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nah I still drink beer I am low ish carbing I will allow myself a treat now and again and I still walk about in bare feet.

How do you manage to have beer?!?!
I'd love to find a way.
I used to drink about 12 pints a week pre-diagnoses.
Two weeks without beer has been hell!

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My lovely friend Joy was always so careful of her feet, she didn't have neuropathy either, she was out shopping and stubbed her left big toe, 3 months later she lost her toe then her foot, then her leg and finally septicaemia took her from us all in 9 months, don't risk it, keep feet covered

But if she was out and about then I assume she was wearing shoes?
Were there no warning signs after stubbing it?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I'd love to find a way.
I drink a few beers now and then.
Probably four cans in one go and I spike to around 8.
Only once a month probably.
Red wine and Vodka are best.
How red wine gets a clean bill of health though I'm not sure.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Real beer is probably not a good idea ... drink the mostly tasteless lager stuff and I'm sure it must be lower carb ... you can see I have no real idea about this can't you?

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
But if she was out and about then I assume she was wearing shoes?
Were there no warning signs after stubbing it?

Yes she was wearing special sandals, and yes her toe was bruised and the nail had a small split in it but the drs at the hospital said it was ok then it all went wrong. gangrene is a killer if it gets into the bone which it did, and septicaemia was the last straw.

Supermario46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
WOW there is certainly some differences here. I was informed I had diabetes by a receptionist. I saw the diabetic nurse who put me on metformin. Second time she weighed me. I did get referred and have had retinoprathy test. That is it. Oh and told about the eat well plate. Ive learned a tremendous amount from this website. I have been told I dont need to test but have now ordered a codefree after info from this site. I wish I could remember which thread had the promotion code for the lancets. :)
I was told the reason for my "repeat bloods" by the nurse who was taking said sample and when I went back to collect results,the receptionist told me that I was diabetic and gave me a date to attend clinic. My next clinic appointment is in December and I am going to be asking a whole raft of questions,mainly centred around DESMOND/X-PERT COURSES, DIETICIAN consultation and SELF TESTING.
I am wondering if, perhaps, the nursing team have been focusing on my high blood pressure and raised LIPIDS and have overlooked some of the other stuff.
Questios need to be asked though!!!!!

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes she was wearing special sandals, and yes her toe was bruised and the nail had a small split in it but the drs at the hospital said it was ok then it all went wrong. gangrene is a killer if it gets into the bone which it did, and septicaemia was the last straw.
****! That's awful.
I'm sorry to hear that.
Still, I think in my own home I am ok for now.
The risk is low for foot complications anyway and I know my own home. No pins, needles, broken glass, etc. I am a clean freak and always have been when it comes to my home.

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I kind of wonder how serious it can be walking around my own home barefoot?

Admittedly, a few days before being diagnosed, I was walking along the beach barefoot and some parts were stony as hell.
It hurt my feet but luckily did no damage and won't be doing that again but otherwise, I kind of feel like I am ok to walk around my home like it.
Is that unreasonable to assume?

And there's the thing you never gave walking along a stony beach a second thought before diagnosis and why would you ?

We have diabetes it doesn't mean we should wrap ourselves in cotton wool I have deep luxurious carpets and I will enjoy the feel of them as is my want.
Look I'm not advocating that we should all kick our shoes off and run barefoot through the countryside but with a little common sense can't we enjoy the pleasures we have.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stepping on Sharp Objects
......... The reason puncture wounds are so bad is that bacteria can enter and get trapped under the thick skin on the sole of the foot. This is how a diabetic foot abscess begins. These can lead to major infections that require surgical drainage of the infection or amputation of the leg. Always seek immediate treatment with even the smallest wound from stepping on something sharp.
http://www.docontherun.com/index.ph...-which-diabetic-foot-problems-are-emergencies

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I drink a few beers now and then.
Probably four cans in one go and I spike to around 8.
Only once a month probably.
Red wine and Vodka are best.
How red wine gets a clean bill of health though I'm not sure.

Real beer is probably not a good idea ... drink the mostly tasteless lager stuff and I'm sure it must be lower carb ... you can see I have no real idea about this can't you?

I'd love to find a way.

Twelve pints was a session for me, I have cut back but yes I drink the "tasteless lager" stuff:D
Like many other things testing will tell all without going through my logs I think the worst I have spiked to is about an eight too but I'm usually in the six to seven region.

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have diabetes it doesn't mean we should wrap ourselves in cotton wool I have deep luxurious carpets and I will enjoy the feel of them as is my want.
Look I'm not advocating that we should all kick our shoes off and run barefoot through the countryside but with a little common sense can't we enjoy the pleasures we have.

This is it. I am just talking about being barefoot at home, or in socks even. I can't relax wearing shoes or slippers, never have been able to.

Stepping on Sharp Objects
......... The reason puncture wounds are so bad is that bacteria can enter and get trapped under the thick skin on the sole of the foot. This is how a diabetic foot abscess begins. These can lead to major infections that require surgical drainage of the infection or amputation of the leg. Always seek immediate treatment with even the smallest wound from stepping on something sharp.
http://www.docontherun.com/index.ph...-which-diabetic-foot-problems-are-emergencies

I have always been very anal about my feet ever since I was 14 and had a really bad ingrowing toenail that got badly infected.
Since then I have looked after them like they were royals.
Now I will be even more vigilant!!
Twelve pints was a session for me, I have cut back but yes I drink the "tasteless lager" stuff:D
Like many other things testing will tell all without going through my logs I think the worst I have spiked to is about an eight too but I'm usually in the six to seven region.
I may switch to red wine as a weekly treat. Just a couple of glasses. Of course, I will have to see how it goes with my BG monitor first before I say that! I may have to give up altogether and just find solace in slaying opponents on the PS3!!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At our surgery we have a visiting podiatrist that comes in for the foot checks, I got a foot care leaflet after my last check which had Low Risk Feet stamped on the front.