Just joined and have a question!

MrsMoo

Hello I am newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. The reason I have joined this forum is because of a need to know more about my condition so that I can manage it to the best of my ability. I am at the moment being given pills and diet advice for controlling things and have had explained to me the reason diabetes is happening to me. I have been a migraine sufferer for over 30 years so I am well aware of the 'signs' of one starting so that I can prevent worsening symptoms, now I am after the same knowledge of diabetes (I believe there are 'hypo's and hyper's) can anyone tell me what I should look for in myself and what to do to stop it going worse please? What is the difference between the two so you know which one is happening? Is it possible to be at a stage where neither occur?
Thank you.

weim1

cant help you as Im newly diagnosed myself but interested to see the answers you get. just wanted to say hi and welcome.
Donna

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
As a type 2 on tablets, you are unlikely to go HYPO which is very low blood sugar - below 3. I take metformin & have never been hypo. Also I have never gone hyper - above about 20.

Basically hyper symptoms are the diagnostic symptoms of diabetes - thirst, urination, blurred vision, etc. Water is the best immediate treatment, but A&E hospital attention should be considered.

Do you measure your blood sugar? If so what are your results? The best diet advice is to keep carbohydrates low.

This link explains the differences.

wallycorker

Hi MrsMoo,

Hyper is when blood glucose levels are high and hypos are when they are low.

Like you, I'm a Type 2 on metformin tablets only. My GP tells me that I'm in no danger of having a serious hypo - no more than a non-diabetic person that is. Based on that advice the main thing that we need to be concerned about is keeping our blood glucose levels down.

I suggest that you start by trying to cut down on the amount of carbohydrate that you eat - cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc.

Best Wishes - John

MrsMoo

Thank you all that has been VERY helpful. I have no knowledge 'yet' of what my blood sugar is as I have seen the practice nurse once so far who told me the bit I already mentioned . I saw her after two consecutive fasting bloods were done with a gap of a few weeks.I have to say at that point i didn't get chance to ask questions for two rasons 1 she was continuous talking going through her routine and 2 I was a little bit 'shellshocked' at the time.
As for the carbs I don't eat those already as they have an effect on me so I am lucky there I guess!I have to go for the eye test which i know is routine for diabetes and for an ECG this Thursday, is that routine for diabetes too? Also is it important to eat at 'often' intervals with diabetes? ie between the usual breakfast, lunch and dinner ones.
Thank you all.
Sheila

wallycorker

From what you say about your diagnosis it sounds as though you are likely to be in the early stages so now is the best time to sort out any weaknesses in your diet and try to keep well clear of problems in the future.

As far as meals are concerned you are likely to be advised to eat regular meals. Little and often is quite a good idea in my opinion.

The annual eye test is normal for all diabetics.

No idea what the ECG is about - it's not likely that will be diabetes related.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Mrs Moo
You won't get a hypo without taking some medication to cause it. As far as I know, only Metformin, Starlix,Byetta and Victoza don't ever cause hypos.
Hyper is more of a problem. Many of us "old Hands" have set our own BG upper limit targets( mine is 6), so may not have any signs of going just a little over. I Never allow my BG to go much over. Even when trying a couple of experiments with food, I have kept below 7.5. therefore, I never feel hyper.
I work on "If I don't eat it, it can't get into my blood".
Hana
Ps I now get migraine with the visual disturbances and nausea, but no headache.

MrsMoo

Thank you Hanadr Migrains come in many forms, can be in the stomach rather than the head for example, the main thing is to catch them early and treat before they get worse. Which is why my questions on this forum, being a new diabetic I was thinking I could approach things the same way. I can already see how useful this board is going to be to me and am extremly thankful I found it so early on in my diagnosis! Now all I have to do is learn how to make use of this board and its many helpful people and subjects to my advantage by being able to manouvre it hehe. Thank you all for a wonderful and helpful greeting!