Just me

FionaR

Hi to all,
I'm new here (obviously!) so thought I better start off with an intro thing.
First off I would like to say, I am not much of a people person and find it VERY hard to talk about things or to put my thoughts into words, because of this sometimes what I type comes out completely wrong and can be misunderstood as me being cheeky/rude/arogant or whatever. That is not my intention, so please don't take anything I say personally. :oops:

A wee bit about me ...
Im 34, was diagnosed in 1987 and put on pork mixtard 30 ..... fast forward 18yrs and I was changed over to hypurin porcine 30/70. Last August changed over to levimir and novorapid, which gave me quite bad side effects (more about that later) so now, since June, am on porcine isophane and neutral.
When I was diagnosed (just before my 12th B'day) I was bullied in school for being a "junkie" regularly got my head smacked off walls etc lost the few friends I did have because they didn't want to be associated with the person being bullied lest they get bullied too, got in with the "wrong crowd" after school, stopped telling people I had diabetes, never checked my BG's or took my insulin for a long time, done everything any normal person, regardless of diabetic or not, would not do. I am lucky to be alive today and it is only thanks to getting pregnant with my daughter that I am here...
I am not telling this for sympathy, but simply so you might understand where my issues of trust and being unable to approach/talk to people come from - I've never had a "best friend" nor anyone I can talk to and have dealt with everything on my own since I was 14 (and I think this might actually be the first time I have said any of this to anyone other than my dogs :shock: )

My daughter and life saver is aged 12, also with type 1 diabetes. She was diagnosed in March 2006. Currently on Levimir and novorapid and doing really well on it (the reason I changed over to that...)

I have joined this forum as there seems to be a lot of porcine users, which seems to be a rarity among other forums.

Anyway, sorry about the length of this post, it really only started out as a hello lol

Fiona x

mindii

Dislikes
rude or over opinionated, over bearing people. liars,
the rain and the cold!
Fiona, HI
Just wanted to say Hello and welcome you to the forum.
Kids can be so cruel (well so an adults i suppose) but everyone here is really nice and very helpful. so hopefully you'll feel right at home to talk to anyone here! Sometimes when you're reading things it can come across not quite as you'd like it sound but i think the wee smilies at the side help to direct the way the comments are meant to be heard??!
Sounds like you have been through quite a bit with you're diabetes :cry: but thankfully have found a way to deal with it! :)
I'm almost 31 so if you want a blether about anything at all just pm me!
look after yourself sweeti
amanda
xxx

FionaR

Hi Amanda,
thanks for the welcome :)
Yes kids can be cruel, and some adults even more so!
I do try with the smilies, but sometimes it still comes across wrong, I do try though, with practice hopefully I will get better at it (still not used to forum posting on personal issues - have kept my distance from that as much as I have from "real" people lol)
BUT I really need some help with my diabetes ATM so it is time to come away from my confort zone of loner-ness (is that even a word?)
Thanks for the offer of the blether, don't take it personally if I pass just now. I don't want to offload my problems or be a burden to anyone, I just need some help/advice to get to grips with my new insulin regime. Maybe one day if/when my confidence builds up I may be able to take you up on the offer though :)

Fiona x

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello Fiona and welcome. :)
No advice to offer as I have no experience of T1 but just saying hi and hope things all get much better for you very soon. :)

mindii

Dislikes
rude or over opinionated, over bearing people. liars,
the rain and the cold!
hey Fiona
Look dont worry bout it! i'm kinda new to all this talking via forums too, still find it a wee bit weird! :? but with practice and all that! Hope you find the answers you're looking for and if not it's always nice to know there are so many people out there with similar issues - no?
Take care of you and your's and hear from you soon!!
A xx