Keeping pump cool - any ideas ?

Penquin47210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In these days of Red Emergency high temperatures it seems very relevant to ask about keeping a T-Slim cool.

As we are all aware from reading the patient information sheet….. insulin does need to be kept below 30C, not easy if the external temperature is approaching 40 C as we have all been warned.

I have just ordered the Frito XL Pouch, of which there are many positive comments, as well as a few negative ones, but is this the best solution ?

Diabetes U.K. represents the widest data base for INFORMED opinions based on experience - so over to you please.

40C is not a temperature that I have experienced often before, but with climate change, who knows ? I am aware that in hot weather the activity of the insulin seems to be reduced, or is it that I am less active ?

I have been an IDD since June 1962 - originally at King’s College Hospital, Denmark Hill, Camberwell, but now live in rural France after retiring.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diabetes U.K. represents the widest data base for INFORMED opinions based on experience - so over to you please.
Please bear in mind this is not Diabetes UK - their website is Diabetes.org.uk
However, there are some well informed people with diabetes (most of them have type 2).

I have been using a pump for about 6 months and have travelled to countries hotter than the UK. I keep my pump in the shade and never had a problem with the heat.
My pump is kept next to my skin under my clothing which does not reach 40 degrees.
The other advice is to keep yourself out of the 40 degree heat - regardless of diabetes we don't cope well in such temperatures.

Penquin47210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Please bear in mind this is not Diabetes UK - their website is Diabetes.org.uk
However, there are some well informed people with diabetes (most of them have type 2).

I have been using a pump for about 6 months and have travelled to countries hotter than the UK. I keep my pump in the shade and never had a problem with the heat.
My pump is kept next to my skin under my clothing which does not reach 40 degrees.
The other advice is to keep yourself out of the 40 degree heat - regardless of diabetes we don't cope well in such temperatures.

I live in a climate where it DOES reach 40 C, hence why I thought it reasonable to ask for advice.

Being told to “keep yourself out of the heat” is not very helpful.

Thank you.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I live in a climate where it DOES reach 40 C, hence why I thought it reasonable to ask for advice.

Being told to “keep yourself out of the heat” is not very helpful.

Thank you.
I think you misunderstood - my comment was to keep the pump under clothing so it is shaded where it is unlikely to reach 40 degrees.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your only option is a Frio pouch. I've also travelled in much higher temps and not cooled my pump when its connected to me, never had issues other than changing insulin every two days instead of three. So loading pump with 1/3rd less insulin and using more insertion sets.