Keeping your morning BS stable/normal.

three1ne

Hi all. I dont post here often and just wanted to give something back in the form of (hopefully helpful) advice.

Ive always found that keeping the morning blood sugar levels low to be somewhat tricky in the sense that I really dont need many carbs to raise my BS above 7 despite having a shot of insulin equal to what I would need to counteract a big carb intake at lunchtime.

I used to have either cherry or mandarin Activia yoghurts which are around 10g carbs and would need 10 units of Novarapid (+ 2 units of Levemir. This kept my BSL relatively normal but would fall off pretty quickly and would find myself needing something to raise my BSL 2 hours later. Plus I would find myself hungry around this time too.

Finally, to the point of my post. I started blending a load of fruit. I havent been able to measure the carbs so far but I would imagine they equal around 15-20g. Strawberries, raspberries, (a few) grapes, apples, plums. Normally stick to 1 big fruit and 2 other smaller fruits. I make enough to fill a 300ml glass.

I have found I need less insulin, it fills me up more and my BSL remain a lot more consistent in the AM. Not to mention you're almost clearing the 5-a-day before you're even hardly awake!