Keto chat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I was advised by my GP to consider the Keto diet. Obviously that's lower carb intake but a higher fat intake.
I also suffer with high cholesterol and triglycerides with results hitting 14.4 and 25.2 respectively.
Anyone else been advised to do this in a similar situation?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My triglycerides were high when I went low carb. Even with the addition of a little more fat into my diet they dropped. My total and HDL went up a little but not enough to cause me any concerns.
I am not Keto, I bought a meter and by testing before and two hours after meals found my blood glucose dropped into the normal range on 85g of carbs a day and no more than 30g in a single meal.
There is no way to know unless you test - I had to fund my own meter but it's worth asking you GP.

Since getting into remission I aim for 120-130g a day.

Reactions: leatherbikerboy

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I am on Keto purely because it suits me better. Cholesterol high but GP will not do a full panel.
I actually told them what I was doing. As I was losing weight and now sugars coming down they were happy. I also test on a very regular basis. It helps me know what is going on.
Keto is also good from the point of view that you don't get cravings.
Good Luck and just don't worry.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks for replies. My BM varies 7 to 8.8 in mornings and upto 13 in eves 2 hrs after my meal.
I have full screening end of Nov so fingers crossed!! Will find out if i am going onto meds after those tests.

Im aiming for 50g carbs a day (easier sone days!!)

Weight loss 8kgs since July without really trying.

Reactions: Lainie71

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I was advised by my GP to consider the Keto diet. Obviously that's lower carb intake but a higher fat intake.
I also suffer with high cholesterol and triglycerides with results hitting 14.4 and 25.2 respectively.
Anyone else been advised to do this in a similar situation?
I’m another one whose cholesterol improved on keto, although it wasn’t as high as yours. In fact most of us do improve. Have a read here https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/cholesterol-basics. There’s loads more out there to consider way way beyond the “fat raises cholesterol and risks death” message we hear so often. Impressed your dr suggested keto. I assume you’ve discussed cholesterol with them?

have you been checked for familial hypercholestemia (sp?) as I understand that changes a lot of advice - both historical and more recent

Reactions: leatherbikerboy
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.
Yes...cholesterol has been investigated for some years. Am awaiting a geneticist appointment...am on inhibitor meds not statins as dont work just shoot my liver levels sky high!!

Hypercholesteralemia has been mentioned along with others!

Will see how the levels go with the changes and see if 1c test reduces in few weeks.

Im on immunosuppression drugs as well which i am sure throw spanners in proverbial wheels lol

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71