Keto diet - pros and cons

Robert Henderson

I've read a lot of articles about it that said low carb diets could help enhance blood sugar management in people with type 2 diabetes while also improving levels of triglycerides and HDL (good) cholesterol; that the ketogenic diet could reduce insulin resistance.
However, depending on the protein-rich foods that you choose, the keto diet and many other low carb diets can be high in saturated fat. It can also be challenging to get enough fiber while following the keto diet. For this reason, it’s important to eat plenty of low carb foods that are rich in fiber, including nuts, seeds, and leafy greens.
I'm sure more research is needed to learn about the long-term benefits and risks of the keto diet and other low carb approaches to eating.
What do you think about it?

M

Member496333

Personally I do much better with virtually zero fibre, but each to their own. My experience is not universal so I think people should just find what works best for them.

Other benefits I’ve found from whole-food ketogenic eating are an improved ability to tan safely without sunscreen, and no need for underarm deodorant. The deodorant thing came about mostly after going keto carnivore and removing all plants.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
However, depending on the protein-rich foods that you choose, the keto diet and many other low carb diets can be high in saturated fat.
All my lipid levels have greatly improved, according to my endo. What is it exactly that saturated fats do wrong, as obviously it isn't doing anything adverse to my cholesterol?
I'm not keto, by the way, only low carb.

Reactions: Babble
M

Member496333

It’s probably worth noting that ketosis is a metabolic pathway, not a menu. The diet used to achieve and maintain it is quite another matter. It’s possible to be in dietary ketosis while eating absolute garbage.

Reactions: Lainie71

boggle

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
The keto diet worked for me; hbA1c from 104 to 29 in 6 months. Cholesterol is good. Blood pressure has stayed the same, so now looking at doing some Hiit and more walking.

Reactions: DM123@

boggle

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Cons include lack of options eating out.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found that when I stick to my keto/low carb diet my morning blood sugar is between 5 and 6 and my Habc1 results are very good. My weight either reduces or stays the same. I rarely fall asleep when watching tv. When I fall off the wagon and eat carbs then the opposite to these happen. I gain weight, my morning blood sugar is high and I generally don’t feel as good.

Robert Henderson

Personally I do much better with virtually zero fibre, but each to their own. My experience is not universal so I think people should just find what works best for them.

Other benefits I’ve found from whole-food ketogenic eating are an improved ability to tan safely without sunscreen, and no need for underarm deodorant. The deodorant thing came about mostly after going keto carnivore and removing all plants.
Yes, everyone is different, and what works for one person may not work at all for another.
Yesterday I found an interesting article about different types of diets, including the keto diet https://www.healthline.com/health/type-2-diabetes/best-meal-plans
I've highlighted a bunch of useful information there. If you're interested in that kind of thing, you can read it.

Reactions: Megnala

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, everyone is different, and what works for one person may not work at all for another.
Yesterday I found an interesting article about different types of diets, including the keto diet https://www.healthline.com/health/type-2-diabetes/best-meal-plans
I've highlighted a bunch of useful information there. If you're interested in that kind of thing, you can read it.
I flicked through and read eat fruit...and use canola oil and stopped bothering to read further. Not things I would recommend.

Reactions: HSSS

Robert Henderson

I have found that when I stick to my keto/low carb diet my morning blood sugar is between 5 and 6 and my Habc1 results are very good. My weight either reduces or stays the same. I rarely fall asleep when watching tv. When I fall off the wagon and eat carbs then the opposite to these happen. I gain weight, my morning blood sugar is high and I generally don’t feel as good.
I know what you mean. I have a similar situation. No matter what I eat, I don't seem to gain weight, but I feel really bad when I go off my diet.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got the test results this morning, five years low carb, (since diagnosis) four years of no more background retinopathy.
Many other benefits but that is today's.

Reactions: Joona

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
while also improving levels of triglycerides and HDL (good) cholesterol;
the keto diet and many other low carb diets can be high in saturated fat

most times you see saturated fat lists as a negative it’s because of cholesterol, which you identify is not a concern in reality.

I’m another who’s cholesterol panel improved across the board after an increase in saturated fats but a big decrease in carbs.

Most of these articles focus on avoidable (electrolytes being the most common) or temporary issues (eg keto breath). I even saw one this week listing weight loss as a problem. That’s not the case for most but it is avoidable if you don’t want to lose. A decent amount of research or the support of knowledgeable people already succeeding on it can make the world of difference.

Reactions: Robert Henderson

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pro - weight loss
Con - wardrobe malfunction due to weight loss ...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh - yes, I forgot that - each year when the seasons change I bring out the clothes I was wearing before the last change, and find I need to either alter or renew a lot of them. Not really a negative, but I am now always choosing styles and designs which are going to make that easier.

Robert Henderson

most times you see saturated fat lists as a negative it’s because of cholesterol, which you identify is not a concern in reality.

I’m another who’s cholesterol panel improved across the board after an increase in saturated fats but a big decrease in carbs.

Most of these articles focus on avoidable (electrolytes being the most common) or temporary issues (eg keto breath). I even saw one this week listing weight loss as a problem. That’s not the case for most but it is avoidable if you don’t want to lose. A decent amount of research or the support of knowledgeable people already succeeding on it can make the world of difference.
I also think you should first do a lot of research and study this subject well or ask for advice from knowledgeable people not to cause any unforeseen situations.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also think you should first do a lot of research and study this subject well or ask for advice from knowledgeable people not to cause any unforeseen situations.

Thats what we are here for.

We've done a lot of research and even better put it into practise with great results!

Reactions: Robert Henderson