Keto diet

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How can i start a keto diet. Am eating 80g of carbs per day.
Am prediabetic and use cgm libre.
Want to cut carbs further. Am skinny fat...so doing some strength training.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
If you use 'Cronometer' as I do. You input blood glucose readings, weight and foods. It will tell you what your carbs are and will beable to see how you can drop them. Good if you are using new foods. My carb count is anything between 4-30 although prefer to be around 20 maximum. There is a free version and you don't have to pay for Gold unless you need advice.

Reactions: saky

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends what you mean by "a keto diet".

What I mean by it is a diet low enough in carbohydrate intake so that the body moves into dietary ketosis - ie it starts using stored bodyfat for fuel. For me that means limiting carbs to around 20g/day which is usually low enough to keep me in ketosis. Some folks have reported being in ketosis at 50g/day.

I check/confirm by using ketone weestix - they're pretty inaccurate but are good enough to show the presence of ketones in urine and their approximate levels.

It can be difficult for some people making the changeover into ketosis - there is a thing called the "keto flu" which can last a few days. Coming out of ketosis is really simple - just eat/drink carbs.

Reactions: saky and filly

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are various facebook groups that support keto diets. They vary a bit in their approach and many are USA based so there’s always the confusion of net/total carbs etc to be aware of. Some are very rigid in ingredients and approach others are lazy or dirty in that macros are all that matters not where they come from. In its purest sense keto diet means achieving a state of nutritional ketosis and no matter what any one groups tells you there’s more than one way to achieve this. I’d really recommend you do plenty of reading before you start and pick a group relevant to your location and stick with one source until you are confident. There’s an app called ketodiet (with a fish image). by keto recipe author Martina Slajerova that is pretty sensible and has a Facebook group to go with it that has paid and free options. It seems pretty good. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto has good basic information and links to more info.

Mathewted

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I went keto I did one thing; I ate no carbohydrates - no sugars, no sweets, no grains or flours from grains, no legumes, no starchy veg, no fruit. Probably not ideal but it got me there quickly and I did drink water and often added a bit of apple cider vinegar occasionally or Celtic sea salt.

I was in ketosis and felt better than ever

Now when I do it I make sure to eat plenty of non-starchy veg (think salads and greens), fatty fish, walnuts, pecans, seeds and offal as well as meat and definitely eggs. I stay away from seed oils (aka vegetable oils) due to being highly processed, possibly rancid, and high in omega 6 fatty acids.

Hope that helps

Mat