Keto Ice Cream

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do like an ice cream in the hot weather, but most ice cream seems to have huge amounts of sugar.

I haven't found a low sugar ice cream available in the supermarkets in the UK. If anyone knows of one, let me know.

If I can't buy it, then I may have to make my own "keto ice cream". Does anyone have a good recipe for this?

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The easiest is double cream whizzed up with frozen berries as you want it - if you try to keep it in the freezer it sets rock hard

Reactions: Art Of Flowers

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not keto but Oppo ice cream has been mentioned before for lower carb (and calorie) .
I tried it but was not a fan due to the "chemically" artificial sweeteners used.
This is a matter of taste so I still recommend trying it and making your own decision.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lots of keto ice cream recipes on YouTube but as @lessci has said it can be very hard to scoop. I’ve heard adding a drop of vodka makes it scoopable but what that would do to your BG I’m not sure. Also certain keto friendly sweeteners can make it softer

• Funny
Reactions: filly

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought a freezing plate a few years back for about £15 of Amazon, I use cream or Fage yogurt and make all sorts of flavours, coffee, rum, chocolate, & choc chip berries, vanilla (I always add a drop of my homemade vanilla extract) add some sweetener if you like

just pour the stuff onto the frozen plate and mash it around. You do have to eat it right away though. @MissMuffett is correct any spirit will make it softer as alcohol does freeze just gets icy. It’s great for slush cocktails too - I do a cracking frozen margarita;)

To make your own vanilla extract just take about 70ml of vodka in a small bottle and add a split vanilla pod, let it soak for a couple of weeks and you have a great sugar free keto friendly vanilla extract- you can top it up 2 or 3 times when it starts to get low

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make a choclate one, best in lolly moulds than scooping
Or if you keep reading labels you can occasionally find one that ti's lower carbs (not keto) but lower than most. Our local farm does a gooseberry one that comes in 14g carbs per 100ml and Morrisons does a cafe latte one that is similar
Here's the recipe for the chocolate and raspberry one

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t fall for the Franks brand. It even says diabetic cream on it which is against industry standards that dont allow food to be labelled diabetic anymore. Sadly it’s not illegal, just guidance.

It has fructose to add to a fatty liver (and can’t be seen on a glucose meter obviously), as well as maltodextrin and dextrose that can and will raise glucose higher than sugar does (also in a lot of calories free sweeteners!). Awful stuff that doesn’t even taste nice.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Art Of Flowers . I'm a big ice cream fan, and on a Low Carb Healthy Fat way of eating as an insulin resistance based type 2er.

Early on post diagnosis I invested in an ice cream making machine, which is a small churner and freezer, which are the two key processes to make ice cream like the ice cream you can buy in a shop.

But of course, with your own ice cream maker you are in control of the ingredients. As in the flavour, how you flavour, and of course - whether you sweeten it or nae, and with what.

Buying that machine has been one of the best things I ever did, and a great investment as the grief around no longer eating ice cream would have been enormous. And it isn't, at all. In the two countries I have lived in post diagnosis, Sweden and Aotearoa/NZ, there is no unsweetened or stevia sweetened ice cream available, as far as I know, still. Even though NZ is a big ice cream producer, and well known to make amazing ice cream (dairy! Lots of cows!).

I can make pretty good ice creams with a small amount of stevia crystals, to the extent other folks without diabetes will gladly eat them. This is no mean feat in my experience.

Whether you get a machine or not depends on how much you like the consistency of 'regular' shop bought ice cream. It's the churning that does it, along with the freezing. Otherwise, she says, her ice cream maker chef's hat on, you are probably getting a frozen cream dessert treat, but maybe not so like regular ice cream. Very happy to be corrected by fellow ice cream makers out there!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
ps, on really great LCHF/Keto ice cream - the chefdom is in the creme anglaise(aka custard) mixture - when you get that beautiful and smooth, so is your ice cream.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Real ice cream is actually a custard, eggs and cream warmed up until it thickens, then whipped as it is frozen.

Reactions: HSSS