Ketoacidosis symptoms

Emmy-Lou

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I was just wondering what people's personal symptoms were when you have had ketoacidosis.

I know what I'm supposed to watch out for but I know not everyone gets all the symptoms.

Sorry if I've spelt ketoacidosis wrong.

Thank you in advance.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Extreme thirst,.resulting in frequent toilet visits, stomach cramps sometimes with sickness, rapids weight loss, dizziness/confusion. sometimes 1 sometimes all of them.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Shazza74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wet weather
Thrush is also a symptom. I had all of the above and severe thrush when admitted to hospital last week with DKA. I didn't know what was happening and was quickly diagnosed with Type 1! It was a shock as I am 40 and very slim.

I also lost approx 1.5 stone within a 3 week period.

• Agree
Reactions: ElenaP

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unquenchable thirst, extreme fatigue, rapid weight loss (1pound per day), weak and wobbly, vomiting just prior to hospital admission. My BG on admission was 27 mmol/L.
My GP had diagnosed me as a Type 2 three months prior although in fact it turned out I was Type 1 as per hospital. The GP had prescribed Metformin which was completely wrong and had no effect on my symptoms except it made me feel sick.
I was 66 years old then (1 year ago) and Type 1 in older people is quite unusual.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
deep breathing is one of the key late stage symptoms, it's because you are trying to expel the toxic **** in your blood out through your lungs
abdominal pain is a late stage symptom that says "go to hospital"
once you start vomiting you must go to hospital because you can no longer keep yourself hydrated, and this starts a runaway spiral

Emma2589

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another symptom I experienced when I had it was really fruity breath, that was the day before I went into hospital with DKA after having all of the other symptoms for about 4-5 daya

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
For me it was vomiting every half an hour, stomach pain and I couldn't breathe properly. My son called a paramedic they calmed me down so I was breathing normally they said it was a panic attack. They called an out of hours doctor to visit me who came out a few hours later, he then said I needed to be in hospital and called a non urgent ambulance to take me in. So from the start of vomiting it was 20 hours until I got to hospital. Can I also ask how long it took other people to get to hospital and how long after being treated and discharged did you feel well again? It took me about a month, I don't know if that's the norm but as I'm never ill I just wondered if it took me longer to recover. I never want that again I'd sooner die.

Shazza74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wet weather
I went to see my doctor because I didn't know what was wrong. I was very breathless but put it down to my Bronchiectasis. As I mentioned I had all the other symptoms. My doctor told me to go straight to hospital. My bloods were at 27 and ketones were 9! They had me hooked up to 3 different drips and in a ward within the hour. I didn't realise this was an emergency.

I still feel drained but this is all new to me. Have had a headache since.

Are DKA's frequent for T1's? This is all so new to me.

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I've only had it once (apart from diagnosis) and I was vomiting every five minutes for 4 hours, not even water would stay down! But, this came from food poisoning so I can't say this was exclusively a DKA symptom.

Shazza74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wet weather
Thanks! Hopefully that was my first and last DKA! Have to say the NHS nurses etc in A&E were fab. They were very calm. I didn't even know it was an emergency until the morning after when it was explained to me....although I did wonder why I had a bed so quickly after arriving in A&E.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Only once had it, was only then I found out I was diabetic.

Type 1, pumping nova rapid

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Does this only apply to type 1s?
Before diagnosis I was gargling phlegm.
3 months later none.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are DKA's frequent for T1's? This is all so new to me.
Well, it's not uncommon for previously undiagnosed T1s to be diagnosed when they develop DKA (according to wikipedia, 30% of children with diabetes are diagnosed this way).

For the already diagnosed diabetics, the risk is apparently 0.46-0.8% per year.

I didn't even know it was an emergency until the morning after
It's in the name though - Accident and Emergency ;)

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
At diagnosis as Type 1 age 51 I was weak, very dehydrated, had lost a lot of weight, extreme thirst, constant urination and poor immune system. HbAc1 was 13.7. But not in DKA. First episode was 2 years after diagnosis. Only symptom was dull ache over my kidneys that gradually over 2-3 hours became extreme, so took myself to A&E thinking I had a kidney stone or infection. Turned out to be DKA & spent 24 hrs on saline and insulin drip. But fine after discharge and back to normal routine the next day.

Second incident last month when I was caught out by a chest infection and didn't adjust basal insulin fast enough...vomiting, dehydration, deep breathing...delayed too long calling ambulance...paramedics didn't know what DKA stood for, but got me on drip and EKG asap. Twenty hours on resuscitation ward, numerous lines, blood glucose and ketones kept oscillating wildly so apparently hard to stabilise. But feeling OK after 24 hours - only problem was getting appetite back after prolonged vomiting and I still had severe sore throat (throat / chest infection took 3 weeks to clear). BIGGEST MISTAKE - I should have gone to A&E at least 12 hours sooner. If insulin dependent, always let paramedics and/or A&E staff know they must check for DKA - otherwise it can take too long to diagnosis what is going on and DKA can be life threatening.

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had DKA and was sent straight to hospital by my GP, BG was 27 mmol/L. It was in hospital that I was diagnosed with Type 1.

Previously the GP had placed me in the hands of the so-called diabetic nurse at the practice but not once did the nurse test my blood with a simple BG meter. Had she done so she might have realised that the Metformin they had prescribed because they thought I was Type 2 was not working and that something serious was wrong. The GP nurse simply said carry on with the Metformin and you should start to feel better soon.

When I returned home from hospital the GP phoned my wife at home to ask how I was - I think they realised what a ****-up they had made.

I have my wife to thank for urging me to go to the GP when I started vomiting. How wrong I was to follow what the practice nurse was telling me. It proved to me that a little knowledge (which was all the nurse had) can be a dangerous thing.

When in hospital I started to feel better within a couple of days once they had started to rid my body of the toxic stuff. They were great. It took me a week or so at home before I started to feel normal.