ketones im confused

louiseb

ok to cut a long story short I have not been ill and my fasting bg is 6 which is good but everytime i eat now my bg is rising to about 10 even when its a low carb meal, but is is going back down to about 6 after about 3 hours.
as well as the spike in bgs im getting ketones about 30 mins after eating that goes away a few hours after I have eaten but comes back again after my next meal.
is this normal didnt want to go to doctor as neither the ketones or bg spike is constant they keep going away a few hours after food.
also forgot to mention the ketones are ranging from +/- to ++

also im type 2 take 2x500mg metformin per day

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Are you losing weight, Louise ?

If yes then the ketones are a natural product of losing weight.

Don't forget that the urine you are testing has been in the bladder for a lot longer than 30 minutes and is a by-product of the food you ate some hours before.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Sorry forgot to mention, if you are low carbing then you could be in Ketosis which produces ketones naturally.

louiseb

thanks sue but im not very low carb, just reduced carb about 90g carb per day and have been doing this for the last 6 months and not had ketones before, I think ill just go see the doctor to be sure.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Good idea Loiuse, if you are at all worried then it is always best to consult your Doctor.