KEYA Smart Blood & Ketone meter?

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I have been lurking around the forum for a while, just too much else happening to contribute. But this new meter made me curious so I signed up to ask what other people think, i hope you don't mind. I am pre diabetic, I use a ketogenic meal plan to control that and other health conditions. So I tend to test my blood levels at least once a day.

I've got monitors that measure ketones, glucose and cholesterol by changing the stick (and code chip). But this meter measures ketones and glucose using a single test strip. So the one test gives both glucose and ketone results.

The Keya:Smart monitor website says they charge £31.50 for 50 strips. At the moment I am paying £6 for 50 glucose test strips (SD Codefree), and £55 for 50 ketone test strips (One Call). So this would work out more economical.

Has anyone got experience of the new KEYA Smart monitor (from InsideBiometrics)? (Sorry, not allowed to post a link to the forum until I'm a little older). I'm curious. It looks like it hasn't been out for very long. I just wondered if anyone here had used it and how you found it as a ketone and glucose meter.

Many thanks,

PBWeb

Reactions: Alison Campbell

MillieMac

Type of diabetes
Carer
I have given this meter to my mum who is diabetic and my dad is her main carer after she suffered a massive stroke at the age of 60. Both parents are now in their 70's and my mums diabetes is getting slighter worse as she gets older and less mobile due to nerve damage from her stroke. My dad loves the large colour touchscreen as it is very easy to see the results without needing to put on his reading glasses for both glucose and ketone. The colour of the ketone alerts makes it easy for him to understand if he needs to contact anyone. The test strips are also a good size for him to get out of the container and into the meter. The small blood volume is great because my mum hates having her finger pricked so the small blood sample is fantastic. They are both delighted with this meter.

Reactions: PW1

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you MillieMac. That sounds good. I'd never seen or heard of anyone using this meter, but I am intrigued that it measures both Ketones and Glucose on the same strip at the same time. The meter sounds so useful for someone (like myself) using a ketogenic diet for nutritional and therapeutic reasons. I'll have a better look at the meter. I like the sound of the touch sensitive screen, and I especially like just having a single meter. I am really pleased for you and your parents that the meter is working so well to help with your Mum's diabetes. Anything that makes life easier after a stroke is a good thing. All the best to you all.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds a bit pricey for what you get..I don't test for ketones every day but do it maybe 3-4 times a week but test my blood sugar 3-5 times a day so I would find it a very expensive way of getting my results. Like you I use the SD codefree for BG and recently bought a CareSens Dual for ketones (strips are £9.95 for 10 strips). The CareSens also does BG with strips at £9.95 for 50 so for one meter and 2 strips I get similar convenience. Also has bluetooth if you like downloading (although I have a spreadsheet to type results into).
Just my thoughts on the matter..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never tested for ketones, and have followed a low carb diet around 30g or less since 2014.
As I don't have high BS levels and have little interest in ketones, I can't see any point. I test my BS around 5 times a day.