Keytones

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi, I have just done a blood test and my count is 20.2 and keytones has come up on my xceed. I know I have been out for a lovely lunch with a friends, and have indulged with a roast dinner with a delicious choc pudding plus, a large glass of white wine and , and feeling so good I had a brandy coffee. I don't recall being so high before.
Thankfully I go for my 6 months check up early Feb. Now I am feeling pretty guilty.:(

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I was told to seek help if my Bg was in the high teens with ketones showing. Maybe call NHS direct if it still exists?

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
What does Keytones mean? . I will see what my Bg is in the morning, I will ring my nurse from the Gps surgery in the morning..
thankyou

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Google high blood sugar and ketones. If you have any of the other symptoms phone someone tonight. I dont want to scare you but it can be VERY serious.

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
janemm
well sounds like you enjoyed the meal .
ketos i have sticks to check when ill
when my dad was alive and my age was 16 he would say to me i can smell ketos on your breath got and dig the garden
to work it off i.e. walk for hour or run just work it off and then check bs not sure if on insulin
but it is the top rate of no go ..
or you will suffer the sticks are a urine test have 3 readings nil mild strong
give nurse a ring and go very easy on sweet things you have just gone a bit over the top but just learn and go easy
vic hill[/quote

Thank you, Will get my exercise peddler out, not used it for a while. I am not on insulin, hope I am a long way off it. It I am on Gliciazide just now.
I feel ok just a bit high, we had a lovely meal

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The message on your meter is to test for ketones, not that ketones are present. You need a separate test to find that out.
I use insulin so can't advise how to lower your levels. If you have blood or urine ketone strips then test for ketones. If not keep a close eye on your levels, perhaps testing hourly to start with and contact a professional if they don't fall.

Last edited by a moderator:

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would imagine your monitor is telling you to test your ketones as your sugars are above a certain level (mine beeps above 13). it is a separate test to see if ketones are present. If you are not unwell and just indulged in a big meal it is unlikely that ketones are present. You only have to check for ketones if you're unwell with high sugars.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, it's asking you to test for Ketones. a blood sugar of 20 could be worse; I was sometimes at 25 when I was on tablets. Have plenty of water and keep monitoring your blood sugar

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I have just done another test .13..6 I feel relieved that its on the way down. Thank you for your moral support and information. I am a bit down as well because I have just recovered a chest infection. I have just finished the course of antibiotics. Was so pleased to go out this lunch time.
However I will phone my nurse in the morning, after I have been to keep fit.