KFC?

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
11 months into being a type 2 diabetic, and so far so nearly good. I'm still controlling it with diet and excercise, and testing 2 -4 times a day. Just a wee word of warning to some people who think that they have beaten it, you haven't. Thats the way I felt coming up to Xmas. my levels where never over 7 and usually about 5.5 -6.5 morning noon and night, and after the gym usually down to about 4.7. So I let myself go over Xmas, and I'm sort of paying for it now. My day time levels and after most meals isn't to bad, just the odd spike, but my pre breakfast level, Im struggling to keep it below 7. :( But what I have noticed, when I do treat myself, the best thing I can eat is KFC. I get a 3 piece variety meal which contains, 2 chicken wings, 1 chiken strip, 3 pieces of chicken 1 chip and a diet coke. Ive been treating myself to one of these once a week since Xmas, and 2 hours later my BG levels, have never been over 6.5 :? I know the fat content isnt great, but i'm working out 3-4 times a week and averaging about 1-2 pounds weight lose per week. Has anyone else noticed these results after eating KFC

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi East man - The KFC meal your having has a LOT of carbs - like you say it also has a high fat content so this may be slowing down the rise in your BS - have you tried testing at 3hr and 4hr - you may find that it affects then more. It may even affect them 6 or 7 hrs later - do a search on here for the "pizza effect"

I have KFC as a treat every couple of months - but I remove most of the crumbs and have about 5 -10 chips.

If you can tolerate it weekly and after doing later tests and it doesn't seem to affect your BS - lucky you! :D - personally for me having it every week wouldn't be a treat - it would be the norm - but each to their own :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
KFC as a occasional treat but certainly not every week! :(

As lovinglife says this food is very high calorie and contains far to much saturated fat, it isn't all about maintaining good blood glucose numbers and you have to be aware of the damage being done to the arteries and your heart. I had one myself on Christmas eve and thoroughly enjoyed it, but believe me it won't be until next Christmas till I eat another.

Nigel

the east man

Dislikes
lovinglife said:
Hi East man - The KFC meal your having has a LOT of carbs - like you say it also has a high fat content so this may be slowing down the rise in your BS - have you tried testing at 3hr and 4hr - you may find that it affects then more. It may even affect them 6 or 7 hrs later - do a search on here for the "pizza effect"

I have KFC as a treat every couple of months - but I remove most of the crumbs and have about 5 -10 chips.

If you can tolerate it weekly and after doing later tests and it doesn't seem to affect your BS - lucky you! :D - personally for me having it every week wouldn't be a treat - it would be the norm - but each to their own :)
Cheers lovinglife it does sound to good to be true, but I will test after 3 and 4 hours. :wink: But this is where this illness really pi**es me off, there is so many different scenarios. We are told to test 2 hours after a meal, but for some meals this might not be a true refelction, and we might have to test 3 or 4 hours after a meal. Oh how I like black and white answers Arrrrrrrgggggggghhhhh :x :x :wink:

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just out of interest I worked out the nutrition values for the meal, (from their website) :

total calories = 1425
total protein = 104.4g
total carb = 79.4g
total fat = 79.1g
saturated fat = 17.8g

Hope you enjoyed it!

the east man

Dislikes
Just an update on my KFC diet. On friday night 2 hours after eating my variety meal my BG was 6.5, and after 3 hours it was down to 5.9. I also lost 1lb last week. :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Etty said:
Just out of interest I worked out the nutrition values for the meal, (from their website) :

total calories = 1425
total protein = 104.4g
total carb = 79.4g
total fat = 79.1g
saturated fat = 17.8g

Hope you enjoyed it!

Did it mention the salt (sodium) content Etty?

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sid Bonkers said:
Did it mention the salt (sodium) content Etty?
I make it sodium 2.8, salt equivalent 6.9