Kindle e books

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
I've just finished reading The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair by Joel Dicker, a brilliant whodunit that keeps you guessing to the end.
I'm also a huge fan of Bernard Cornwalls novels (although not the Sharpe ones)

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've just finished reading The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair by Joel Dicker, a brilliant whodunit that keeps you guessing to the end.
The rebel novels were on offer the last time I looked!

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you read Alex Fergusons Autobiography?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes! Got bored with all the trophies, how did he remember all them? Bet you he had someone reminding him especially after the second bottle of fire water!

The best one I read was Aldos, not because of his ties to the super whites, but the way he got to be a top class player and his passion not only for the scouters but also for football. He is never biased in his commentary! Ha!

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Haven't read his, I'll have to check it out

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I noticed on amazon that Bernard has a bicentennial novel coming out later this year called Waterloo, already put it in my kindle wish list!
Always been fascinated with the battle, mostly because it is my late brothers birthday and it's significance, to the political and military history of Europe! For example, would we have had the first and second world wars and obviously the Franco-German conflicts later in the century?
Would have the radical French government that would have dominated Europe had the same effect as British and Germany on our lives?
What would have happened to the royal houses in Europe, with the revolutionary French dominance in Europe?

I'll ask Napoleon when I see him!!!!

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I noticed on amazon that Bernard has a bicentennial novel coming out later this year called Waterloo, already put it in my kindle wish list!
Always been fascinated with the battle, mostly because it is my late brothers birthday and it's significance, to the political and military history of Europe! For example, would we have had the first and second world wars and obviously the Franco-German conflicts later in the century?
Would have the radical French government that would have dominated Europe had the same effect as British and Germany on our lives?
What would have happened to the royal houses in Europe, with the revolutionary French dominance in Europe?

I'll ask Napoleon when I see him!!!!

And would we (the English) have conquered/colonised half of the world if in our formative years (so to speak), our nobility hadn't been French hellbent on taking back land in France? We became quite a formidable force and our archers were second to none, and feared the world over. It's hard to imagine a line of horsemen 20 miles wide pillaging and plundering, setting fire to crops and dumping dead bodies and dead cows into wells and streams to poison the water supply. The French called this 'hellequin' - 'the devils horsemen' - reputedly come to take souls for the devil

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My sausage fingers hit 'post reply' before is finished... o_O

I won't bore you with more, I love the period around the 100 years war

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My sausage fingers hit 'post reply' before is finished... o_O

I won't bore you with more, I love the period around the 100 years war
Have you read his Agincourt, or was that another author? I get mixed up!

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you read his Agincourt, or was that another author? I get mixed up!

Yes I have read Agincourt and yes it is one of his, it's a great read. I really like his style, fiction set during historical events.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes I have read Agincourt and yes it is one of his, it's a great read. I really like his style, fiction set during historical events.
I like historical what ifs, if you hadn't noticed already and one of my favourite authors is Harry Turtledove. He writes through the lives of his characters and he always kills at least one of his main characters off and introduces another in every book. He likes to tease you, knowing that you know that it is gonna happen, but not as you think, there are twists and unexpected turns, you think you have the story Sussex and after another chapter you haven't. It also has civilian characters and most of the story is about there struggles, rather than the military. My favourite series is based on if the South won the Civil War in America and the subsequent forty to fifty year after.

Just thought have you read Redcoat?

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm always a bit worried about recommending books as people like different things, so don't blame me if you don't like it :)
But I absolutely loved the original Bram Stokers Dracula. I got it free on my kindle and really enjoyed it. In fact went to Whitby a few weekends ago just to see the place!
On a non kindle related book recommendation (sorry). I just read the 100 year old man who escaped from a window and disappeared...,, brilliant. Haven't seen how much it is on kindle.
Andrea

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I like historical what ifs, if you hadn't noticed already and one of my favourite authors is Harry Turtledove. He writes through the lives of his characters and he always kills at least one of his main characters off and introduces another in every book. He likes to tease you, knowing that you know that it is gonna happen, but not as you think, there are twists and unexpected turns, you think you have the story Sussex and after another chapter you haven't. It also has civilian characters and most of the story is about there struggles, rather than the military. My favourite series is based on if the South won the Civil War in America and the subsequent forty to fifty year after.

Just thought have you read Redcoat?

I've not heard of Harry Turtledove sounds like my kind of author, going to have to check him out, is there any book I should start with?

No I haven't read Redcoat, is it any good?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm always a bit worried about recommending books as people like different things, so don't blame me if you don't like it :)
But I absolutely loved the original Bram Stokers Dracula. I got it free on my kindle and really enjoyed it. In fact went to Whitby a few weekends ago just to see the place!
On a non kindle related book recommendation (sorry). I just read the 100 year old man who escaped from a window and disappeared...,, brilliant. Haven't seen how much it is on kindle.
Andrea

Yeah thanks have read Bram Stokers Dracula and went To Whitby myself. Did you go in the Dracula museum? Went there about ten years ago. Is it still there?
Still not looked at the 100 year man etc. have had that recommended by others not on here. Believe it is fab. I will look on my kindle and search. Thanks again!
If you liked the original Dracula you may enjoy the original Frankenstein. By Shelley. (Mary)?

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Museum is still there but didn't go in. Looked on enviously as everyone tucked into delicious looking fishing and chips :-( but then did a lovely walk to Robin hoods bay along the coast.
Haven't read Frankenstein but thanks for the tip!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've not heard of Harry Turtledove sounds like my kind of author, going to have to check him out, is there any book I should start with?

No I haven't read Redcoat, is it any good?
He is a very prolific writer, google him or search on kindle and the start of the series that I mentioned is called 'the Guns Of The South' then if you follow it with 'Those Who Remain'. The series starts from there. Absolutely enthralling!
Let me know what you think, before buying!