Lactofree

A

Anonymous

I don't know why I haven't tried it before, but yesterday I bought some Lactofree milk. I wanted to reduce the carb content of my protein shakes and I didn't want to make them with water because they taste yuk.

The shake with normal whole milk is 9g carb - but with Lactofree is 6.8g - a reasonable saving.

This morning I used Lactofree with my almond porridge, again dropping the carb content by a little over 2g. It also tastes really nice. Are there any other downsides (other than the price) ?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,Swimmer :)

Was the Lactofree A dairy or non dairy milk.

I am not a milk fan of both types, when adding to porridge, tea and coffee.
However do add to cooking etc;

I am also going through a avoidance of dairy products due to my diet. Now using unsweetened Almond Breeze (only £1.00p special offer).

Roy. :)

Grazer

I use lactofree all the time. Used to get the soya "no sugar" stuff for drinking, but hated the taste. The lactofree tastes like normal milk to me, and is almost half the carbs of normal milk.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
After 45 days on the Whole30 thing, I'm getting a bit bored of black Earl Grey tea.

Last night I decided to have a proper cup of "bulders tea" with milk. It tasted milky and disgusting, which is weird, because 45 days ago, one of the biggest struggles was giving up milk in my tea (and having a sneaky swig of milk from the bottle).

Regular milk now tastes to me like lactose-free, or UHT, milk before I broke the addiction.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been using Lactofree since it came out. It is cows mil with some of the sugar removed. It tastes no different to other cows milk and lasts much longer.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Arla Lacto-free milk tastes great.

Stuart09

izzzi said:
Hi,Swimmer :)

Was the Lactofree A dairy or non dairy milk.

I am not a milk fan of both types, when adding to porridge, tea and coffee.
However do add to cooking etc;

I am also going through a avoidance of dairy products due to my diet. Now using unsweetened Almond Breeze (only £1.00p special offer).

Special offer? where :D Is it long life?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
borofergie said:
After 45 days on the Whole30 thing, I'm getting a bit bored of black Earl Grey tea.

Last night I decided to have a proper cup of "bulders tea" with milk. It tasted milky and disgusting, which is weird, because 45 days ago, one of the biggest struggles was giving up milk in my tea (and having a sneaky swig of milk from the bottle).

Regular milk now tastes to me like lactose-free, or UHT, milk before I broke the addiction.

Its odd how easy it is to change a tea or coffee habit isnt it?

Many years ago now I worked a night shift and I used to have three sugars in tea and coffee until one night at work we had run out of milk so I drank black coffee, seemed to taste better without milk than tea somehow, and after just that one night (several cups) I never went back to having milk in coffee. Now I cant drink coffee with milk I think it tastes disgusting. :lol:

The same thing happened with sugar although by then I had cut down to one or two sugars but after going without a few times when no sugar had been left by the day shift I soon got used to tea and coffee without sugar, and have never gone back.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all!

I use Lactofree for everything now having switched from soya milk. Soya was OK at a push but I still preferred proper milk. I get an awful spike from ordinary milk, but I find the Lactofree fine - it tastes like cow's milk but doesn't spike me as badly. I've even used it in ice-cream making and it works very well. If you need to get the carbs even lower, the full fat one used with two-thirds milk diluted with one-third water works for most recipes (although that's not so good in ice-cream).

Sid - I wish I could train my tastebuds to drink black tea, but they just keep dragging me back to adding milk :lol:

Smidge

mau

Fraddycat said:
Yes I too am interested in Almond Breeze on special offer - where??

i saw it for £1 at tesco yesterday in the fridges. I went for the Alpro unsweetened almond milk in the end, will try it in some cauliflower cheese :)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
It is in Tesco's £1.00 Red or green. Longlife, once opened 5 days.