Lactose Intollerance anyone able to answer a few questions..

FordPrefect

and offer some advice ;)

Been having abdominal pain for a while now thats getting worse. Think this started before I started byetta but its certainly being getting worse since I started byetta. Doc has done some bloods for full blood count, amylase, liver, kidneys and urine test but so far nothing come back as being off. Now reading up some of what I am experiencing sounds similar to lactose intolerance not all symptoms. But bloated feeling and pain. Not too gassy and dont have the runs either tend to go the other way. Now the pain is worse if I dont goto the toilet as soon as my bladder says its ready but having no disconfort when taking a leak. Also its worse when breathing. Feel like I need to go a lot sometimes within minutes of having gone, and dont always produce a lot of volume. I also have microalbuminuria about 190 if I recall correctly before starting ACE inhibitor and also have some problems with peripheral neuropathy.

My other thought given previous reading on peripheral neuropathy is that it could be something to do with that but I was under the impression that that was quite bad and normally happened quite a long time after first symptoms. Also would mean that peripheral neuropathy has progressed even with blood sugar readings that are on average between 6 and 7 on the meter since the last time I saw neurologist, which from what my diabetologist said last time would be very atypical. So back to lactose intolerance...

Is this something that would just appear I have been fond of milk and associated products since forever really and eat cheese on a near daily basis and also ofc use milk in tea/coffee multiple times a day. If this is lactose intolerance is it likely to be caused or made worse by using byetta?

veggienft

This should not be difficult. Stop drinking milk for a couple weeks. See what happens. Then drink some milk, and see what happens. If milk brings on your symptoms, stop drinking it. I can't drink milk.

If it's lactose intolerance you can tolerate some amount of plain yogurt and white cheese. If it's casein intolerance you wouldn't tolerate any dairy products.

But you should also suspect fructose, sucrose and gluten. I would eliminate all at the same time, then reintroduce them one at a time after two weeks. See how you react.

FordPrefect

I can easily rule out sucrose and fructose as I dont really have much or any of either. Gluten well thats another possibility just wondering about lactose intolerance first and wondering if its possible that it would just start like this as I have always liked milk and dairy products and eat them daily for years.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's quite common for human adults to be intollerant to milk. We're not designed to use it after all. let alone the milk of another mammalian species. It's not rare in dogs either :?
I remember reading somewhere that the original human diaspora was caused by a mutation which allowed some people to digest milk and other dairy products.
Another thing I've read is that people of African origin are more likely to be intollerant. The 2 things chime together. Those who were intollerant couldn't migrate to temperate climates.
Interesting stuff you find in Scientific journals :p
Hana