nybrid

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
fear of diabetes complications
Hi,
I'm diagnosed Lada(type 1 on my notes). I am only on 1 metformin a day as a fairly low carb diet has kept my blood sugars at an average of 5.5 so I'm still in the honeymoon period. Can Anyone suggest low carb drinks and snacks which will keep my levels steady. Last time I walked Ben Nevis I got massive calf and groin cramps! Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Mike

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a bit of a strange question to answer as I'm not really sure what your asking.

Best snacks to keep your levels steady would be none, basically... Are you looking for no carb snacks or low carb snacks?

Are you in need of carbohydrates to keep your sugar levels up whilst walking - or just something to eat that won't change your glucose levels by much?

Nuts, cheese, beef jerky. That sort of thing won't impact your BGL by much if any.

Grant

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I'm diagnosed Lada(type 1 on my notes). I am only on 1 metformin a day as a fairly low carb diet has kept my blood sugars at an average of 5.5 so I'm still in the honeymoon period. Can Anyone suggest low carb drinks and snacks which will keep my levels steady. Last time I walked Ben Nevis I got massive calf and groin cramps! Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Mike
Beef jerky might as it is loaded with sugar

Nuts and cheese shou,d be good. Raw veggies like celery and mushrooms. Could you scoop the meat out of an avocado with a spoon or smash it and put it in a container. Avocado and celery are hi in potassium so might also help with the cramps.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it was me, I'd take a variety of snacks with zero, low and higher carbs. That way you can choose what's appropriate according to your needs.

Magnesium helps with cramps, as does keeping hydrated. Maybe some pumpkin seeds for magnesium?

nybrid

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If it was me, I'd take a variety of snacks with zero, low and higher carbs. That way you can choose what's appropriate according to your needs.

Magnesium helps with cramps, as does keeping hydrated. Maybe some pumpkin seeds for magnesium?
Thanks very much for your advice as its the cramps rather than sugar levels. Which concern me

nybrid

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

This is a bit of a strange question to answer as I'm not really sure what your asking.

Best snacks to keep your levels steady would be none, basically... Are you looking for no carb snacks or low carb snacks?

Are you in need of carbohydrates to keep your sugar levels up whilst walking - or just something to eat that won't change your glucose levels by much?

Nuts, cheese, beef jerky. That sort of thing won't impact your BGL by much if any.

Grant
It's more about cramp than sugar levels so plenty of water and pumpkin seeds(magnesium) seems good advice. My glucose is very well controlled with average 5.5.Thank you

Reactions: 2 people

nybrid

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Beef jerky might as it is loaded with sugar

Nuts and cheese shou,d be good. Raw veggies like celery and mushrooms. Could you scoop the meat out of an avocado with a spoon or smash it and put it in a container. Avocado and celery are hi in potassium so might also help with the cramps.
Thank you Kristin. It's the cramp that worries me as I had it big time last time I walked Nevis . Sugar levels are well under control at 5.5 average

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Kristin. It's the cramp that worries me as I had it big time last time I walked Nevis . Sugar levels are well under control at 5.5 average
Great on sugar levels. Pumpkin seeds go great with guacamole. Sprinkle with sea salt and you have all your magnesium potassium and sodium covered. And a delishous low carb energizing blood sugar steady meal.

nybrid

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Great on sugar levels. Pumpkin seeds go great with guacamole. Sprinkle with sea salt and you have all your magnesium potassium and sodium covered. And a delishous low carb energizing blood sugar steady meal.
Perfect thank you