tuttiruthi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I'd love to know if anyone in the UK is able to get Accuchek Multiclix lancets on the NHS? I have just moved home after living in Australia where I was using Multiclix, and I really like them as you only have to change the drum when it runs out rather than the lancet every time.

The GP I recently saw told me they weren't available, but I wonder if it was his mistake or if there is a similar product available? It is a drum with 6 'needles' inside so you just turn the dial when you want to change it rather than change the actual lancet every time.

As I'm still waiting for my medical exemption certificate renewal to come through I was thinking of ordering some online (the price is similar to what I was paying in Australia anyway). I was also using Accuchek Performa meter and strips which don't seem to be available here.

Many thanks in advance,

Ruth

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can still get them here on prescription and other lancets and test strips when you need them off the nhs

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The GP I recently saw told me they weren't available, but I wonder if it was his mistake or if there is a similar product available? It is a drum with 6 'needles' inside so you just turn the dial when you want to change it rather than change the actual lancet every time.

The MultiClix drum was replaced by the FastClix, so your GP is right that the MultiClix is no longer available on prescription.

To order the FastClix drums you need a FastClix lancing device, if you ring Accu-Chek they'll send you one out for free, just say you have type 1 and test multiple times a day.

Reactions: Struma

tuttiruthi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The MultiClix drum was replaced by the FastClix, so your GP is right that the MultiClix is no longer available on prescription.

To order the FastClix drums you need a FastClix lancing device, if you ring Accu-Chek they'll send you one out for free, just say you have type 1 and test multiple times a day.

Thank you! This is really helpful. I'll give accuchek a call and see if I can get them on prescription with my Doctor.

tuttiruthi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Accu-Chek still make the Multiclix and the lancet drums are still available, whether this is NHS being tight wads by not supplying them I would not have a clue.

Fastclix lancets available from here at reasonable price:

Amazon UK
Lloyds Pharmacy
Boots
Diabetes Co Uk

Thanks for the tips, Tipetoo! Yes it could be the NHS, but the doctor I saw was quite new so maybe just got it wrong. I will post the outcome on here

D

Deleted member 308541

Your welcome @tuttifrutti I noticed that Amazon UK have cheaper Fastclix lancets than my pharmacy here in Bundaberg.

Might have to get some next time I order from Amazon. :D

tuttiruthi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your welcome @tuttifrutti I noticed that Amazon UK have cheaper Fastclix lancets than my pharmacy here in Bundaberg.

Might have to get some next time I order from Amazon. :D
I know - don't think anyone can compete with the giant that is Amazon anymore!

tuttiruthi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can still get them here on prescription and other lancets and test strips when you need them off the nhs
Hi Jordi, that's good to know - can you definitely get Multiclix on prescription then?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Accu-Chek still make the Multiclix and the lancet drums are still available, whether this is NHS being tight wads by not supplying them I would not have a clue.

@Tipetoo , I rang Accu-Chek around 18 months ago and asked if they still made the MultiClix and they said they didn't as the FastClix had replaced it, no doubt you'll still be able to buy the MultiClix on the likes of eBay but as far as I'm aware they won't be available on prescription.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Availability of all things varies by your provider. My surgery refused to let me have Accuchek stuff on prescription and will only give me GlucoRx products. It's a cost thing. So I use the less convenient GlucoRx machine when I'm at home, but pay for my own Accuchek Mobile when I need the convenience.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I heard someone ask for them a week ago when I was going to see the gp and that was for a repeat prescription so as far as I know in the north east you can still get them

Hilary29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
my health centre told my accu-chek fastclix is no longer available on the nhs. Is this a post code lottery thing? The replacement not as good.