Lancs/W.Yorkshire Diabetes/Low Carb support group..

XtractorFan

Anyone interested in joining/supporting a local support group trying to spread the word on Low Carb High Fat lifestyle?
Last September I attended a presentation featuring Dr David Unwin, Dr Trudi Deakin (www.xperthealth.org.uk) at the Rendezvous Hotel in Skipton.
It was well attended and although I was already committed to the LCHF diet it gave me loads of useful info - and the the chance to speak to Dr David Unwin...
The organiser, Verner Wheelock is trying to build on that success and has arranged a 7 week LCHF course, again at the Rendezvous for later this month.
Ideally we'd like to meet up with local Diabetics who want to know more, had success or are struggling with this diet.
If you want more details, contact Verner by email: [email protected] (mention Low-carb Diet DUK forum) or me of course.....
Worth a try?

Reactions: IanD

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello - yes I would be interested. I live in Otley so it's not too far. I have emailed the address you gave.
Thanks

XtractorFan

Hi Sunny, thanks for the post - Verner got your email so I'm sure he'll send you some info soon,
Hopefully I'll meet you at the Rendezvous.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wanted to attend one of those courses, but they don't run them in Lincolnshire :(

XtractorFan

I wanted to attend one of those courses, but they don't run them in Lincolnshire :(

Yes, local support is hard to find - this is not a NHS arranged course - the NHS (at present) doesn't recognise reducing carbohydrate intake as a 'solution' to the obesity/diabetes disaster.
In fact Public Health England is still pushing (on TV the other day) it's Eat Well Plate that tells you to base your meal on at least 35% carbs! http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/the-eatwell-guide.aspx - madness!
I started Low-Carbing 12 months ago when my only other option (according to my GP/Diabetic consultant) was injecting insulin.
I've been type 2 for at least 15 years, medication creeping up to maximum doses of Gliclazide, Metformin (oh the nausea!) - now on just 2 Glics (1x morning and evening) and my last 2 HbA1c tests have been 37 and 39mmol/mol or 5.7%.
So I know it works.
But it's not easy and people need support, not in just words and texts but actual one to one contact to swap encouragement.
We hope setting up a local group will do that.
At this rate, the NHS may get the message out in a few years - if it lasts that long...

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, local support is hard to find - this is not a NHS arranged course - the NHS (at present) doesn't recognise reducing carbohydrate intake as a 'solution' to the obesity/diabetes disaster.
In fact Public Health England is still pushing (on TV the other day) it's Eat Well Plate that tells you to base your meal on at least 35% carbs! http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/the-eatwell-guide.aspx - madness!
I started Low-Carbing 12 months ago when my only other option (according to my GP/Diabetic consultant) was injecting insulin.
I've been type 2 for at least 15 years, medication creeping up to maximum doses of Gliclazide, Metformin (oh the nausea!) - now on just 2 Glics (1x morning and evening) and my last 2 HbA1c tests have been 37 and 39mmol/mol or 5.7%.
So I know it works.
But it's not easy and people need support, not in just words and texts but actual one to one contact to swap encouragement.
We hope setting up a local group will do that.
At this rate, the NHS may get the message out in a few years - if it lasts that long...

Yes, I agree with all that you've said there, I saw the Eat Well plate thing on TV too. I'm lucky in that my DN for the last 7 years supports low carb for diabetics, and was keen to write up in my notes how I got to where I am results wise. At my last surgery the DN was hell bend on stitching me to insulin as it was "easier".... for who? I'm still on too many meds Gloclazide, Metformin & Forxiga) but I'm working on it. As you say it's not easy, and does require some thought and prep - and motivation. I think that's where this site plays a huge role, I'm often looking for inspiration with meals etc. and know that I can find it here along with some great success stories. I'm also a huge fan of Diet Doctor and don't mind paying a few pounds a month for the information. I also have the " Eat Fat" book. My struggle is motivation. I don't know if the diabetes causes it but I sometimes find I have no drive to do anything. However, it's a new year and I aim to make changes :)

Flycaster

Hi,
I am so mad I missed this, been reading up on LCHF diet and decided enough is enough and went to Morrisons, Skipton today and bought all the stuff in readiness for starting the diet on Monday. I need to loose weight and get my diabetes under control as I have another major operation due and have to get fit for it.

I have sent the guy an email and hope he can let me know when the next seminar or meet will take place. Thank you so much for posting this, I cannot believe it!!!!!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I'm reading Verner Wheelock's new book - wonderful to read of another doctor who has abandoned the party line on high carb - which he helped promote long ago.

This year will complete 10 years on LCHF. My health was completely transformed - restored from crippling peripheral neuropathy - & 10 years on I am fit & well & still playing tennis at 79 next month.

I have been promoting LCHF locally - NW London but am now moving away to Hereford.
A local diabetes education project features me & others at our tennis club.

Now we will be moving to Peterchurch, Hereford.
Does anyone know of LCHF support there?