Lantus advice needed!

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!

I've only been diagnosed 3 weeks and just wondering if someone can help!!

At 10pm I take 8 units of lantus. By midnight, I've been having a hypo. Normally I'd be in bed at this time but as it's christmas I'm staying up later

I eat dinner at 7pm and have 2 units of novorapid. Which insulin is causing a hypo?

What steps shall I take to sort this out??

Thanks for your help!!

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!

I've only been diagnosed 3 weeks and just wondering if someone can help!!

At 10pm I take 8 units of lantus. By midnight, I've been having a hypo. Normally I'd be in bed at this time but as it's christmas I'm staying up later

I eat dinner at 7pm and have 2 units of novorapid. Which insulin is causing a hypo?

What steps shall I take to sort this out??

Thanks for your help!!

Hi @asyarlk . . .

From what you have described, it might be a problem which some people have with Lantus. See the details on this thread (and a few others).

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/has-anyone-seen-lantus-do-this.67751/#post-683121

A way to check this is to switch your Lantus injection to a time when its first few hours of activity do not overlap with any Rapid Insulin.

I only finally identified this problem with Lantus when I switched my Lantus injection to the morning. I do not eat breakfast, and after making the switch I saw that I was having a very low blood-sugar during the morning. There was no chance it could have been caused by any Rapid Insulin, as the previous Rapid injection was more than 12 hours before. So I knew for sure that it was caused by the Lantus.

I started to take much more care with the Lantus injection and this (mostly) solved the problem. It still happens very occasionally for me that Lantus acts like a Rapid Insulin and causes a problem . . . I've run out of good ideas how I can avoid this happening from time-to-time.

After a couple of other discussions on this forum, it seems that people with low body fat may be more susceptible to this problem.

Whether the problem is caused by Lantus or Novorapid, shifting the injection times so that the first few hours after the Lantus injection definitely do not coincide with the "active" period for any Novorapid injection should give you a clearer picture.

Regards :)
Antony

Reactions: 2 people