Lantus allergy

mamabatuk

Hi, I have been in Lantus for about 3.5 years now. I've never had any major problems except every now and again I'd get a small hive on my tummy, very itchy but it would go away after a while. Then in December 2016 my legs started to get itchy and this eventually spread over my entire body. Three months later and I am still itchy. I'm on the strongest antihistamine and no relief. The constant extreme itching is driving me mad and I have open sores from scratching. Over the past two years I've also had stomach problems, joint pain, started wheezing and almost constant hayfever. Has any one else experienced anything like this? I take 120 units of Lantus split into two doses. I also take Metformin 2000mg daily and a once a week injection of dulaglutide. The pharmacist I saw last night checked my meds and said it is possibly the Lantus. I just want the itching to stop!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @mamabatuk
sorry I can't give an answer to your query
my time on lantus ( 18 years ) was pretty much free of side effects.

am just giving your thread a bump to see if somebody can offer any support.

Have you spoken with your care team and advised them of your issues ??
perhaps another long acting insulin could be prescribed ??

all the best !!

mamabatuk

Hi @mamabatuk
sorry I can't give an answer to your query
my time on lantus ( 18 years ) was pretty much free of side effects.

am just giving your thread a bump to see if somebody can offer any support.

Have you spoken with your care team and advised them of your issues ??
perhaps another long acting insulin could be prescribed ??

all the best !!

Hi, I spoke to my Dr and he's changed my insulin, despite being very sceptical. I'll try the new insulin and see if it works. I'm currently on steroid tabs to try and stop the itching from the skin condition. Which is now obviously hiking my blood sugars. Everyone is stumped as to what is causing the problem. Apparently Lantus can cause a widespread allergic reaction in some people but it's very rare. I've had other symptoms since I started it but never connected them to the insulin. I'll see what happens with this new brand. I'm hoping it will solve the problem.

Reactions: himtoo and azure

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
good luck with the change of insulin !!
keep us posted on how you progress !!

all the best !:)

mamabatuk

good luck with the change of insulin !!
keep us posted on how you progress !!

all the best !:)
Hi

Well, my Dr changed my insulin from Lantus, to Abasaglar...also glargine but slightly different make up. Since changing my skin has started to clear. The itching is noticeably less and no new areas of itching or sores are popping up. I've also noticed that other symptoms I've had for the last 3.5 years have disappeared. No more aching joints, brain fog, extreme exhaustion, shortness of breath or stomach issues. I've also been doing a lot of research into this and it appears that there are a LOT of people out there who have had similar/identical issues. So maybe some are just more sensitive to Lantus than others. Anyway, I'm happy that I'm beginning to feel human again. I've been feeling so awful for so long and have had tests for everything under the sun, including a full auto immune panel...all negative. And now, one week after stopping Lantus, all these things are disappearing. Perhaps these possible issues should be mentioned to patients before taking Lantus.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi

Well, my Dr changed my insulin from Lantus, to Abasaglar...also glargine but slightly different make up. Since changing my skin has started to clear. The itching is noticeably less and no new areas of itching or sores are popping up. I've also noticed that other symptoms I've had for the last 3.5 years have disappeared. No more aching joints, brain fog, extreme exhaustion, shortness of breath or stomach issues. I've also been doing a lot of research into this and it appears that there are a LOT of people out there who have had similar/identical issues. So maybe some are just more sensitive to Lantus than others. Anyway, I'm happy that I'm beginning to feel human again. I've been feeling so awful for so long and have had tests for everything under the sun, including a full auto immune panel...all negative. And now, one week after stopping Lantus, all these things are disappearing. Perhaps these possible issues should be mentioned to patients before taking Lantus.
HUGE Yays !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks for replying !!

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@mamabatuk - I'm glad you discovered it was the lantus and you are now getting some relief. I hope the new basal insulin works well for you. :)

PD Oz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have been in Lantus for about 3.5 years now. I've never had any major problems except every now and again I'd get a small hive on my tummy, very itchy but it would go away after a while. Then in December 2016 my legs started to get itchy and this eventually spread over my entire body. Three months later and I am still itchy. I'm on the strongest antihistamine and no relief. The constant extreme itching is driving me mad and I have open sores from scratching. Over the past two years I've also had stomach problems, joint pain, started wheezing and almost constant hayfever. Has any one else experienced anything like this? I take 120 units of Lantus split into two doses. I also take Metformin 2000mg daily and a once a week injection of dulaglutide. The pharmacist I saw last night checked my meds and said it is possibly the Lantus. I just want the itching to stop!
I don't know whether it is the insulin as the major reaction has taken place years after going onto Lantus despite some apparently localised sporadic irritation in the meantime. Perhaps it might be a good idea to consult a dermatologist to seek a proper diagnosis?