Lantus side effects and changing insulin.

AilsaMarshall

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, I've been doing a lot of reading of threads on here and they have been very helpful. I would like to hear from anyone who was on Lantus and Novorapid then went on to Animal insulin because they were experiencing really bad side effects on human/analogue insulin.

I have been type 2 diabetic for 20 years. I used to weigh 21 stone but have lost 8 1/2 stone. I have been mostly diet controlled eating low carb, but in times of stress my blood sugars are erratic. So I have tried oral medication but my body doesn't tolerate them. Severe vomiting and gastric issues. I was told by my DNS that I wasn't trying hard enough to tolerate the medication but I gave them 6 months. So 4 times in the last 20 years I have tried insulin but each time I experienced pins and needles and numbness down my arms and headaches plus blurred vision and bloating. 18 months ago I was put back on insulin, the numbness was worse, I felt like I had a permanent hangover. I put on 50 pound in 6 weeks. So I ate very strictly and managed to get off the insulin again. A month ago I got a really bad kidney infection which resulted in DKA. I was in hospital a week and put back on insulin. This time within 24 hours the side effects hit me. But this time they are really severe.
Very blurred vision, foggy brain, memory loss, dizziness, falling over. I look 6 months pregnant. Gastric upset, so much so I can't leave the house in the morning. Skin numbness up my arms all over my torso an now spreading down to my knees. When I take a hot shower it feels tepid! My feet feel like blocks of ice and hurt all the time, even though they feel warm to touch. My muscles hurt and have no strength. Climbing the stairs feels like I'm climbing a mountain, I have to go up one step at a time, so I'm staying upstairs most of the time to be near the toilet. I have severe fatigue, I feel like an 80 year old and I'm 51. I feel if I carry on like this then my life will be worthless!

While in hospital I discussed with my consultant about my side effects, his response was it was my high blood sugars not the insulin. He didn't like the fact I'd been researching and found out that animal insulin may be better. He said my bg would be more erratic. I couldn't use an insulin pen(I read the bnf and know they are available in cartridges for pens). He said I would have more hypos. While telling me this he was banging on the table at each point. In the end he said stay on this insulin for 3-4 weeks(by the time I go to see him again it will be 6 weeks). He said he can guarantee my side effects will have gone by then. Then he might consider switching to animal.
My side effects are still as bad and my numbness is almost all of my body now. I am utterly miserable. I want to go armed when I go back and discuss and hoping he puts me on animal insulin. Maybe it won't be any better but feel I don't have many options.

So can anyone tell me what side effect you had on Lantus or other human/analogue insulin and how you improved switching to animal insulin.

Thanks in advance.

Ailsa

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You may well be right that you need an animal insulin but it might be worth just giving Levemir a try instead of Lantus. It's NICE preferred and I believe has slightly few reactions but who knows.