Type 2 Late spikes- what’s the physiology behind them?

finzi1966

Aiming the question (which is just out of curiosity- I’m not super worried or anything) in particular at our members who are super-knowledgeable about the science behind this thing!

I’m type 2 on meds (metformin, dapaglifozin and Ozempic) with a self-funded CGM. I’ve noticed particularly recently that spikes I have with my meals (and I don’t mean things like pizza, just normal lowish-carb meals) tend to be quite late (so that the “2 hour” measurement can be a bit misleading - I’m often exactly the same as pre-meal at 2 hours, then peak at 2.5 hours and back to baseline at 3 hours

(Eg this graph would be an example: ate at 19:15 at 6.1mmol, started to rise at 21:00, the peak was at 21:30 (8mmol) and back to baseline (6.1mmol) at about 22:15. So the spoke was pretty short, but “late”.

Does this suggest, eg that first phase insulin response is OK but some sort of delay in second phase? I don’t know exactly how these things work.
IMG_0398.jpg

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's hard to know without knowing what you ate. If there was lots of fats & protein in a large meal then the 2 hour adage is nonsense imho.
Large meals take hours to pulse through your gut releasing different quantities of carbs/fats/protein all the time, think of it like a train with many carriages.
The 2 hour adage comes from the OGTT where you down 50/75/100gs of pure glucose in mins.
Real world eating is very different.