lawrence medal

izzy

Hi all! Not sure where to put this post so if its in the wrong place,I apologise.
My mum recently past away and in her belonging was a silver coloured metal lawrence medal.In the centre it says,"60 years with diabetes" with a blue background and silver laurel leaves.The diameter of the medal is approx 2 inches and is presented in a blue case. I know my mum was a life long diet controlled daibetic and as far as I am aware never took medication for it.I dont know who presented this to my mum or any other in formation about it.I was wondering if you could help?

sandymaynard

Hi Izzy
hope this might help a little don't know much about it myself, but done a little research for you.

The RD Lawrence medal is named after Dr Lawrence, one of the first people in the UK to receive insulin when he was diagnosed in the 1920s and a founding member of the British Diabetic Association, now Diabetes UK.
The awards are named after some of the very first patients to receive insulin; Dr Lawrence was diagnosed in the 1920s, and Alan D N Nabarro, OBE, was diagnosed in 1922 and given six months to live, but survived another 55 years due to the discovery of insulin. Both were active members of the British Diabetic Association (now Diabetes UK

Hope this might help in some small way.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
izzy said:
Hi all! Not sure where to put this post so if its in the wrong place,I apologise.
My mum recently past away and in her belonging was a silver coloured metal lawrence medal.In the centre it says,"60 years with diabetes" with a blue background and silver laurel leaves.The diameter of the medal is approx 2 inches and is presented in a blue case. I know my mum was a life long diet controlled daibetic and as far as I am aware never took medication for it.I dont know who presented this to my mum or any other in formation about it.I was wondering if you could help?

Hi Izzy.

It was apparently presented to peple who had been on Insulin for 60+ years. It was presented by Diabetes UK. Contact them for further information. http://www.diabetes.org.uk/
The Nabaro Award is for 50+ years on Insulin.

Here is a report of someone being presented with one of these medals.
http://www.frimleypark.nhs.uk/insulin

Hope that helps.
Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
There's also the Welcome foundation Museum, who you might approach, But DUK is probably the best place. We may not agree witth their dietary advice, but they do a lot of good stuff.

Trinkwasser

hanadr said:
There's also the Welcome foundation Museum, who you might approach, But DUK is probably the best place. We may not agree witth their dietary advice, but they do a lot of good stuff.

AHA! You may be on to something, the medals are now too expensive so they are trying to find a way of not having to hand them out.