LCHF & Cholesterol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb high fat. That's all I've done and mine are ideal now. They didn't used to be when diagnosed last January.

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
been type 2 and the fact i get no sodding help from the NHS at all
Well I'm doing LCHF now but only last 4 weeks up till then it was low fat as the doc and diabetic nurse told me to. So I guess it's going to be bad results

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Diet and exercise and losing weight.

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well that's what I'm doing but I'm not taking statins no way

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was put on statins when I was diagnosed. I took them for about 3 months and then had another cholesterol blood test. Yes, my cholesterol had improved on statins, but I decided to stop taking them immediately, and now my cholesterol is better than it was on statins.

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I read in great detail about them they are not worth it

Reactions: 5 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
not even in the short term. i thought i read that it can make it go high in the first instance. i dont care its just my doc is hell bent on getting me on statins and i do not want them
Mine initially came down from 8 to 6.2 on LCHF then stayed at 6.2. Doc wanted me to have statins when it didn't come down further but my understanding is that it's ok to have cholesterol between 4-7 so I said no to statins this time. Sure he ll try persuading me again though. It's a tricky one.
We are all different, my LDL has gone from 2 to 2.7 I have been on the LCHF but had to cut the fats in the last two weeks due to gall bladder problems,I will be intrested to know how you get on.
Good luck
It isn't so uch the LDL but the size of the ldl particles. The only way to establish whether the ldl is harmful is to have a particle test to ascertain the size of the particles.
http://authoritynutrition.com/low-carb-diets-and-cholesterol/

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Remember that most of the cholesterol the body needs is produced in the liver, only a small amount comes from food. Any excess from food is just excreted. There is also no evidence that high cholesterol per se increases risk of CVD - read Malcolm Kendrick on this - so you are right IMO to stay away from statins. They can't force you to take them.

Reactions: 2 people