Lean Body Mass?

Needles!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all ! I'm a newbie to the forum but I have a question. How do I find out my lean body mass? I weigh 11 stone and I'm 6 ft tall, can anybody help me?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Realistically, you need a calliper or electrical current test. My height is 6'5" and my weight was 102kg but my lean mass was 76kg a year ago. I currently weigh 93kg with a lean mass of around 83kg so a calculator doesn't really tell you much.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Measuring the degree of fat within the body accurately is a very difficult thing. The lean Body Mass and Body mass Index (BMI) is flawed and inaccurate.
It's worth considering a simpler and what is now rapidly becoming a better method of measuring Body Mass and hence Fat Deposit within the body using the Waist to Height Ratio (wHtR). This system uses any measurement type (metric or imperial) and for optimum results everyone over the age of 12 should aim to keep their waist measurement half (50%) of their height. As you can see a very much simpler and more accurate method of assessing body mass..
If you want to find out more on this revised method of body measurement that's slowly replacing the BMI measuring system then if you simply Google 'Ashwell shape chart' it should give you better and more detaile information.
Hope this is of some use.

Last edited by a moderator:

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My diabetic clinic has a scale which weighs you, sends a current though you and gives print out of fat/bone/muscle proportions. What about your doctor's or your diabetic clinic. Do they have one?