Type 2 Leeks

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Good afternoon I have some leeks for lunch but haven't tried them before as they are a below ground vegetable,are they alright as I couldn't get any broccoli:)
I am an old fashioned gal and not having a tv or buying mags have no idea what "current" cliche is but in my world as a granny taught gardener leeks are in fact a "stem" veg along with celery, celeraic, kohlrabi and rhubarb.

Roots are beetroot, carrot, onion, parsnip, radish, salsify, swede and turnip.

Potato is a tuber in the rotation as a veg on its own. For me the tubers (oca and jerusalem) do not really work conveniently if planted next to each other

Looking at veg in that way do the carb % have more coherence?

Reactions: Prem51

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They set seed in the second year which I put directly into the seed tray. Relieved to know leeks are on the ok list as I love them and use them instead of onions a lot of the time.
Leeks loom large on my menu and I'm hoping to get seed from a clump of last year's crop (Musselbrough, I think). They are very versatile, agreed.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am an old fashioned gal and not having a tv or buying mags have no idea what "current" cliche is but in my world as a granny taught gardener leeks are in fact a "stem" veg along with celery, celeraic, kohlrabi and rhubarb.

Roots are beetroot, carrot, onion, parsnip, radish, salsify, swede and turnip.

Potato is a tuber in the rotation as a veg on its own. For me the tubers (oca and jerusalem) do not really work conveniently if planted next to each other

Looking at veg in that way do the carb % have more coherence?
As is often true grannie knew best...

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Leeks loom large on my menu and I'm hoping to get seed from a clump of last year's crop (Musselbrough, I think). They are very versatile, agreed.
Musselburgh is a very good variety. You should be very successful seed saving from them. They look attractive too.

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all, must say I love this forum, where else can the humble leek be debated. Personally I like leeks in soups and stews and with the Lchf diet have yet to try them chopped and fried in butter. However a valid question .

You guys have made a good day even better,

Last edited:
Reactions: DeejayR

Sherlock52

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good afternoon I have some leeks for lunch but haven't tried them before as they are a below ground vegetable,are they alright as I couldn't get any broccoli:)
Quick look at all the previous posts, most of them gumph, leeks are taLloyd onions.....any sugar is concentrated in the bulb at the bottom as you go to the top it's more fibrous like cabbage. It's a big springredients onion.....so unless you have a specific spike from leeks eat them!

S

serenity648

I love leeks and braise them in a little water, just a couple of tablespoons of water and a bit dollop of butter - yummy @

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love leeks and we successfully grew them again for the first time last year after suffering for about 5 years with Leek Moth. They are also very versatile - I sauté them in butter, have them with cheese sauce, chop them up and boil them or throw them into soups.